Political discussion. Keep it friendly!
By Wooster
I wonder if calling in the military means that nerve agent has a decent half/shelf life, or if it's just a case of being seen to be doing something.
Russian money probably paid for some of those squaddies...is the ironic thing. ;)

-edit- I just spotted a car with a big "No Insurance, Seized By Police!" sticker on the back window on one of the videos from the scene today.
All that scene was missing was Nelson Muntz pointing at it and saying "Ha-ha!" :)
By Wooster
I see we're on target for a Balanced Budget.

A 'Balanced Budget' means that the income from Taxation is enough to support the running costs of UK.plc
We'll still be in deficit to the tune of £2trillion(-ish) in public debt by that time though (and still paying £millions in interest on those outstanding loans).

..flip side is Private Debt.

All those privatised utilities, industries and council property sales lowered the tax burden on the Treasury, but fired it square onto the shoulders of the private individual....who still get taxed @20% on the bills.
Think about that...
What would your utility company do with 20% more income?

Scottish Water is still in public hands (despite the best efforts of various Tories over the years).
We have bad winters, but I can't recall the last time we had widespread problems with the supply network.

Private Debt is about £1.5trillion at the moment, and set to rise as fast as the government can sell off it's obligations to serve us through good fiscal management.
(NHS and Social Security)

Anyway..
I'm worried that they'll try to 'sell' a balanced budget as us (UK) being in the clear.
It's far from it, but it's a start.

Gordon Brown managed to balance the books and even turn a profit around 2000, but no-one liked him.
By richietog
Some expert on BBC news claims that Britain would hit back with cyberattacks on Russia. I can't see Russia quaking in fear to be honest. Pathetic attempts by Britain if they were going to do that, to "feel big" in the world stage. Personally can't see it happening, as it will have little or no effects on their websites
By Wooster
Taking down some websites is not a Cyber Attack on this scale mate.

It's disrupting essential Government & Military information and control systems, Water and Power supplies and even secondary services like supply chains.
A Cyber Attack (stuxnet) took down Iran's nuclear development programme by interfering with some PLC's they used on their centrifuges.
(They were reprogrammed to appear on the monitoring systems as running at normal RPM levels, but actually programmed to run to destruction.)
Last edited by Wooster on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By richietog
Still, I don't think they would do that against Russia. It's just a silly idea
By Wooster
Don't be a tit all of your days son.

Russia are more likely to deploy that against us for calling them out on using chemical warfare in the UK.
By Wooster
Good news everyone..
No nukes detonating over Glasgow so far. (My blinds would have probably caught fire if any had.) :D
By Wooster
I wonder if Trump and Putin are in cahoots. :D
Tillerson was a bit of a dove when it came to the Iran deal, and he got rid of him. :?
By richietog
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, where he suffered from MND, many were thinking he was going to die a lot younger with his condition
By Wooster
Aye, intelligent guy. :(

Some reporters on the radio news this morning were banging on about how many copies of A Brief History of Time he sold, but most who bought it didn't understand it.
I think they probably meant that since they didn't understand it, no-one else did either. ;)

Jim Bowen has done a nine dart check out as well.
By richietog
Oh jeez, they are all dropping off now, sooner or later it will be me :D
By Glamdring
Wooster wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:04 pm
Aye, intelligent guy. :(

Some reporters on the radio news this morning were banging on about how many copies of A Brief History of Time he sold, but most who bought it didn't understand it.
I think they probably meant that since they didn't understand it, no-one else did either. ;)

Jim Bowen has done a nine dart check out as well.
I believe most gave up at page 30. God, we're thick, the lot of us. He thought on an entirely different plane.
By richietog
"Go away and shut up", blimey that Williamson is hard isn't he?
By Wooster
I groaned as soon as I heard him say that.
It's like they've appointed a five year old as defence secretary.

I heard he made much stronger comments in private though, calling Putin a 'smelly poo face'.
QNAP NAS

Another firmware update this morning. Two in a fo[…]

Yes. I hoped you meant that. Split. Now see if I […]

Linux Chat

Microshit is rumoured to be buying Ubuntu https://[…]

Cars on TV

Wheeler Dealers refurb Opel Manta (US ed) looked s[…]