Everything else. (If you're not sure where to post, post it in here)
By Wooster
You were singing this sites active mobile appearance praises the other day. ;)
By loughor
A question for Glam or anyone with one or more smart meters - how are they powered? They need some source to run the comms for data transmission. Is it a wee button battery or a big bastard MN908? It won't affect my opinion as to whether I want one (the meter thug army can kick the door down before they have access) but for no reason, it crossed my mind. I did search but didn't find an information friendly result except the usual "they are great and you will love it" bullshine results.
By Wooster
Capita again...
https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/about-dcc/

p.s.
Don't know if it's a concern to you, but I recall that some companies could gather a hell of a lot more information than just your energy usage if they had access to your home supply.
IIRC It's to do with electrical signatures.

i.e. They can tell when you turn your TV on, the kettle on, or the gas boiler fires up (it's connected to the leccy supply) and so on.
Some devices can even leak more detailed information back due to the ring mains acting like receivers.

-edit-
Van Eck phreaking is one method: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Eck_phreaking
Last edited by Wooster on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By loughor
I had a gander but saw nothing about powering the individual things. I know how the comms works, which is why most will need replacing all over again (v1 incompatible with v2).
By Wooster
Gas meter uses battery, Leccy meter uses mains or battery?
(I suspect they both use batteries)

-edit-
They'll be the same tech as the existing Key Meters.
By Glamdring
Mine leccy one is plugged in but can use batteries. It's fairly useless really. A device that uses electricity to tell me how much I've used over the last however long...
By loughor
It was the electricity meter status that triggered the question. I realise it could use minuscule amounts of power but on principle, the customer shouldn't pay to run the thing for the energy company. Which in turn says that the company will pass on any costs of batteries and changing them anyway. The customer always pays, I was just wondering how. The Government is insisting the damn things are installed by 2018 (now 2020 I read) but of course, it just gets bunged onto our bills. Privatisation isn't better than a properly run national thing. Unfortunately, the old nationalised industries were an employment thing where the unions made merry. But not for this thread - please start a nationalised industry thread if you want to discuss the merits of political idealism. I was just having a mental ramble there.
By Wooster
I'm sure I read that the cost to install them is over £200 per household, whether you like it or not.
(That's a couple of hundred quid for the workings of a shit digital clock.)

Load of fucking bollox at the end of the day, innit? :)
By loughor
I've had more pressure emails from Ovo so I fired back an email with a load of questions, some trivial but others not so much.

It seems their meters are SMETS1 so will not work with the new system and therefore will no longer be "smart" and will have to be scrapped/replaced. The current meters only work for Ovo, so tough teats if you swap supplier. The consumer pays to power the electricity meter but they claim it will only be £1 a year (at today's prices).

I shall continue to ignore them. What is the point of having something that has limited time use? Why have the inconvenience of replacing them twice? How environmental is it to chuck away two sets of meters before we get one that might or might not be usable? This Government pressured rollout is a waste of money. I'm already paying for the installation of duff meters to other people in my charges. What a waste of consumer cash.
By Glamdring
Oddly, when I asked those questions they reassured me they would work with other systems. Of course, as I noted elsewhere, I could only have the leccy one fitted because the gas one is under the sink which would have had to have been ripped out to install. No way.
-
I keep thinking it's Sunday today, which means tomorrow I'm going to be out of sorts too. Weird.
By loughor
Here is a cut and paste from their reply, including the delightful "no compatible" and multiple moments, two in one phrase:

We are currently installing SMETS1 smart meters at the moment so they are no compatible with all suppliers' systems at the moment. We do not have an official launch date for SMETS2 meters being installed by OVO Energy at the moment but I would imagine that it will be within the next 12 months realistically. SMETS2 meters will be compatible with all suppliers' systems once they are being installed.

Which means you must have the old one, regardless of what you were told.
Recipes / What are you cooking?

We all knew vegan was a middle class fad. Some are[…]

General 'Tech' News

I've been with TT's broadband since '96 when it wa[…]

QNAP NAS

I found it hard to believe they'd abandon a piece […]

I use it all the time. Not just for email, but to […]