Everything else. (If you're not sure where to post, post it in here)
By loughor
I've been actively avoiding all the emails from Ovo pushing me to have smart meters installed. I can't see the point. I wouldn't cut back on consumption. It seems the Government wants all meters to be smart by 2020. I'm not sure which party started the rollout programme and it isn't important at all.

I was listening to a Radio 4 programme last night and heard that all smart meters currently installed at bill payer expense (passed on in costs) will all have to be replaced again because they are incompatible with the next comms standard for such meters to send readings. The current first gen only talk to the supplier that installed it so you lose smart capability if you swap supplier. The current push is still using 1st gen meters so wasting yet more bill payer money.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08njlmc
It's about the first item of the whole thing or scroll down just a bit and the individual chapters are there.

I knew smart meters were a dumb idea.
By Wooster
I've been avoiding them myself and I've heard they don't even save you money or energy. :/
By loughor
The only way they save energy is by having the display in the house which shows real-time consumption intended to panic the occupant into turning things off. Me, I use what I use.

I expect it also allows them to be remotely turned off in times of shortage - conspiracy theory.

Slightly detouring the subject, we have only just enough generation capacity in the UK and the Gov. is trying to push electric cars which will tip us over into shortages without new power stations. No sign of any that I know of.
By Wooster
What happened to the new nuclear one?
Has that been canned again? :|
By loughor
Delayed (or maybe won't happen). No go yet on the Swansea tidal thing. We import from France. How is that going to work in two years?
By Glamdring
Contracts are contracts: this is what the EU is holding over our heads, as it were.
By [PCF]Falcs
tehre a lot of wind farms been built though i know as heve done a heck of a lot of ground investigations for them the past tweo years
By loughor
Wind is fine when it blows and turbines are in service. We need something to come on line as a fill in but even so (without citing a reliable source), I'm sure I read or heard on R4 that we are just a few % away from maximum capacity with demand rising.

I'd have shoved panels on my roof years ago but I can't guarantee the roof could tolerate the stresses of snow and wind pressing and lifting the panels. It is a very old roof. The house was built in (e&oe) 1850s.

Anyway, don't get a smart meter until gen2 are being rolled.
By Glamdring
Too late. I seem to be using just over a quid a day but I'm on a fixed rate so unless the meter is inaccurate, which I'll keep an eye on, they can't do me.
By Glamdring
I fell today. Embarrassing but no major injuries. I turned round a bit quick in the kitchen and that was it. Put my hand out to steady myself on a stool and it pushed away. No booze involved.

I use it all the time. Not just for email, but to […]

Router Talk

It's working. It does seem to have been the Stardo[…]

Music

Damn, now you made me listen to it again. The fift[…]

Cars on TV

New Wheeler Dealers starts on 4th Oct, with Ant An[…]