Everything else. (If you're not sure where to post, post it in here)
By richietog
£155 to get my lappy back from repairs on top of the £55 I already paid, fucking ridiculous
By Wooster
The first £55 was a gamble that didn't work out, so you shouldn't add it to the repair bill.
If it did work out you'd have been saying "fucking result!" :)

Sore though, it's still £210 out of pocket
By richietog
The problem is that ASUS designed so poorly, rest of their line ups don't have that kind of shitty design....oh wait, some do
By Glamdring
Yesterday all four of my weather apps promised me dry weather between breakfast and early afternoon. They all lied. It's been pouring down since I got up and doesn't look like stopping. Gits. :evil:
By richietog
Wooster wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 pm
The first £55 was a gamble that didn't work out, so you shouldn't add it to the repair bill.
If it did work out you'd have been saying "fucking result!" :)

Sore though, it's still £210 out of pocket
The thing is that I think and hope that they are quoting the £55 inclusive of another £100
By Glamdring
Yesterday all four of my weather apps promised me dry weather between breakfast and early afternoon. They all lied. It's been pouring down since I got up and doesn't look like stopping. Gits. :evil:

Finally went out shopping. It was spitting when I left and pouring when I came out of Sainsbury's. I'd left my cap in the car. Got drenched. Chocolate helps.
By loughor
This evening/night my internet connection has been up and down like the proverbial you-know-whats. I can't blame VM as it is the Ethernet and wifi links all failing on all hardware - Mac, NAS, Sonos - all. If it carries on then it is either take the Superhub3 out of modem mode or buy a new router. Bugger. Probably the latter as SH3s are reportedly shite performers.
By richietog
May have one of my laptops back on Friday, depending how fast the parts arrive in the post
By loughor
I investigated my router this morning. I found that one of the Ethernet cables was loose in the back (how did that happen?). That was the cable serving the switch upstairs where my son is. He was having intermittent connections so re-plugging probably sorted that. I'll find out when he rises from his pit. I elevated the router some five inches and the signal level (SNR) has got stronger, so hopefully it will be stable now. It was low (-68) but now is at -56 on the 2.4GHz band (according to NetSpot). It has also clung onto all the wireless devices, so I'm hoping it was just a hiccup. That'll save me a lot by not replacing it with an ac router. I was in shopping mode earlier.

--edit-- I typed too soon. Wifi is dropping all round the gadgets. Bugger.
By Wooster
Does Netspot show a steady signal on both bands with no channel contention?

If so it could be an interference issue, such as a poor electrical contact somewhere nearby.
If the patch lead for the switch upstairs is a bit flaky, disconnect it for a while and see if the issues remain.
By richietog
Nice to know that the grass is green, thought for one day that the town was going to turn into a desert. Must stop rain dancing
By Glamdring
Noticed this afternoon that Openreach has created a manhole with cover in the pavement in front of the house opposite. I wonder if that means anything for me.
By richietog
Oh gosh, didn't get the festival. Never mind, cancelled my reservation on airbnb to go to the festival. Saves me having to book a train to and from Festival. Oh good, more dollars and bucks
By loughor
This morning I woke up and thought I'd nip out to Tesco and fill the car with petrol after my long tour encompassing Essex and the M4. Off I went, nice and early. Then, after a few hundred yards, I remembered I had already filled up on Tuesday. So I didn't feel a complete tit, I bought some cream cakes for the lad and myself. Good came out of a mistake. I hope it isn't the onset of senility.

I spoke to the person about the Scrabble game toda[…]

Syncing two ipods

I wouldn't recommend shared iTunes account, becaus[…]

General 'Tech' News

There might be some interesting laptops coming soo[…]

Call of Duty genre

Sniping when running? Unbelievable, really is