Talk about the big screen and little screen in here.
By Wooster
The Discovery 'reality' type shows are all pretty much the same format and not worth watching.
By Glamdring
I understand what you're saying, and there is a common 'circus' type theme to some of them, but I ignore that and ogle the cars. They're brilliant. Built with passion and so contrary to anything we do here, for the most part anyway.
The latest series I've found started off as 'Kindig Designs'. They are brilliant and I use the word advisedly. Money is no object and you can see the seasons pass in Utah where they're based as the car progresses from a '60s whatever into something usually svelte and low and stunning, with 600bhp and power everything. I don't agree with all of their decisions but the customers are rich and sometimes eccentric. One guy had his car kitted out with a 960bhp V10. Far too much for him. It'll sit in his air-conditioned garage unused. The mechanics in that garage, the series now called, stupidly, 'Bitchin' Rides', are real engineers. Their jokes are clever and there's little of the childish squabbling you find in Misfit Garage or Fast 'n' Loud.
By Wooster
I'm not that fussed about how they look tbh, I was always more interested in how the mechanical repairs were achieved because there was a chance I'd pick up the odd tip.

With the custom build shows, many of the mechanical bits come out of a box brand new and all they need to do is find a way of getting it to fit. :?
Remember Orange County Choppers?
I spoke to someone who ordered some quite expensive parts from them and it was all show chrome* that wouldn't have lasted a year.

*You'll have seen it somewhere, it's the type of chrome that blisters and flakes off.
By loughor
I can't stand custom cars, paint or metal. Just do the repairs and restoration.
By Glamdring
I agree to a point. For me you can restore a 1950's Pop to original and you end up with a 1950's Pop you daren't use on the road because it has rubbish brakes and will dissolve in a light drizzle, vacuum operated windscreen wipers and the the like, and acceleration measured by an egg timer. A museum piece, which is no way to do a rebuild unless it's a totally special vehicle. A car is meant to be used. My view is resto-mods, to make it look like the original but with mechanics that are fit and safe for modern roads. I'd like a Stag with autobox, power steering, power brakes and the engine sorted in the way it should have been before Triumph worked their rubbish build quality on it.
In the early '80s I went to Olympia to see the Custom Car show. Stunning. Paint jobs you wouldn't believe.

http://www.kindigit.com/gallery/68-camaro/
By loughor
Last of TGT. An entertaining 'special'. You could see all the problems and amusing stuff up front but nonetheless, worthy of fifty-five minutes of my time.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Guides_and_Lists/na[…]

Cars in General

It's those rocket landing that get me every time. […]

Cost

I don't actually mind Apple products too much, it'[…]

Renewed interest in K-Meleon from roytam1 on GitHu[…]