Next gen news
By Wooster
200 is good enough for me as well, but I will take a free upgrade if it's offered, with no obligation to take the new router.
By loughor
The mail client on my Mac was having an intermittent problem with ntlworld email just now so I logged in to the browser version to make sure it was actually OK. It was and the blip has cleared but while I was in webmail I noticed that on the left, there is now a 'slider' showing how much of my 25GB email quota I was using. I was not aware that there was a quota but I'm hardly using anything. I don't hold on to stuff that is done and dusted but I know folks do. Has there always been a quota or is this new (is the point of this post)?

--edit-- I have a gmail that I don't use but got for the giggles when it was first released. That used to slowly gain more space but I just looked and I see they have capped that at 15GB and make you pay for more, I expect Apple count email against their free iCloud but I also hardly scratch that even with iDevice backups. It's all money in the end, whoever provides the account.
By Wooster
I only hit my Gmail cap last year, and could have reduced it by removing my hosted pictures to local storage.

My account goes back to 2004 beta and I routed all my various work emails (with attachments) through it over the years, so that's pretty good for a free account.

25GB is damn good for an ISP offering, the caveat being you'd normally lose access to it if you switch provider.
By loughor
No idea why Glam posted that ^ in here. Not that I mind.

Anyhow, I have two email addresses that I mostly use - ntlworld and (mostly) Apple's - but I do have some others for 'just because' reasons (GMail and Protonmail). This is about the ntlworld one that I've had since they took over CableTel. It has been losing connection in Mac Mail with the imap servers and then finding them again. The setting was imap.ntlworld.com but after some searching (or Duckduckgoing for those who like making verbs out of nouns) I tried imap.virginmedia.com. It reconnected immediately and has been stable since (though not days yet) with good responses in Connection Doctor. I just wanted to post. I'm a little surprised that they still run the old domains and haven't forced us onto the VM brand, which would probably piss people off if they use ntlworld or blueyonder as IDs on sites.
By Wooster
They have to keep the domains linked to the accounts and it's probably less hassle to just run a few mail servers to service them than contact everyone about changing their accounts.
By Wooster
That's just it, people would need to register for a new account name and probably not get anything close to what they had before.
Virgin would also need to keep the old servers running for a few years after the migration anyway, to accommodate people still sending email to the old accounts, before forwarding them onto the new accounts on the virgin domain, so just less hassle all round to keep the old servers and accounts as they are until they naturally slide into disuse.

What you mind find, some years down the line though, is an email from Virgin asking you to register your interest in keeping the old NTL account within x amount of days, or it'll be deemed inactive and deleted.
By loughor
The V6 sound problem seems to have been sorted for BBC HD channels.

There's still the skip >> or << that is misbehaving. For example, Endeavour in ITV, the ads breaks are about four minutes, so eight taps of the button to skip. The video runs on maybe fifteen minutes then rewinds to the eight. Not good if you don't like spoilers. It is worse on HD rather than standard but still happens. I imagine it is down to a change in compression.
By richietog
Noticed two new exchange cabinets in my street and today a virgin media leaflet pushed through the letterbox.
A bit too late :D
By loughor
I see that VM now offer BB speeds of 300 and 350, as from today. They should really do something about their upload speeds.

I didn't get a free upgrade :D
By Wooster
An increase for upload speeds are long overdue.

I tested a BT line a couple of weeks ago and it was 270/150.
QNAP NAS

Another firmware update this morning. Two in a fo[…]

Yes. I hoped you meant that. Split. Now see if I […]

Linux Chat

Microshit is rumoured to be buying Ubuntu https://[…]

Cars on TV

Wheeler Dealers refurb Opel Manta (US ed) looked s[…]