Next gen news
By Glamdring
I can't link to the article but it was supported by SanDisk.
Effectively, SSDs and flash drives can lose data integrity if they're left unpowered for two years in a +25deg place. Even cosmic rays can affect them. They're not archive media.
The solution is to use the devices periodically to power them up. This allows for self-correction.
Mechanical hard drives don't suffer from this.
By loughor
It reads like you have had this happen to you rather than a warning of something we already know but probably forgot. Did you lose data or are you being proactive by reminding us during the hot spell?
By Glamdring
loughor wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 am
It reads like you have had this happen to you rather than a warning of something we already know but probably forgot. Did you lose data or are you being proactive by reminding us during the hot spell?
I simply took note of an article. Since I was using my mobile, cutting and pasting a link isn't always easy. Besides, I hadn't heard of this before.
By loughor
I'm sure there was chat in the old version of the forum. I know I read about it in more than just e-magazines. Well now we all know.
By Wooster
Weren't we warned that data can never truly be erased from solid state memory?

Tbh that's academic anyway, the shadow of our data could exist in perpetuity since our devices don't sit in isolation and our 'Government(s) of Liberal Values' now requires ISP's to log all traffic (essentially all the information going to, and from, your local storage).
If they do the same for encryption then it'll be a waste of time saving anything, since the Government will probably have a better backup of your information than you do. ;)
By Wooster
Yeah, but streaming isn't illegal as yet.

In saying that, I don't use streaming services and hardly use Usenet now..Netflix is cheap and council telly has better offerings than SKY or Virgin (no original content?)..except BBC Period Drama, which is mostly still dire (they do far better documentaries than Discovery ever have though).

The epilepsy inducing flicker, upscaling, or grainy quality on many streams (to reduce bandwidth) put me right off.
Some people don't seem to mind or even notice the flicker, but I find it unwatchable.
(I bought Planet Earth on Blu-Ray Box Set and that did it as well...so I gave it away.) :|
By loughor
Ah I don't stream that way. I was meaning the gentleman's special interest stuff.
By Glamdring
That's not how i understand it. I thought they had to log the websites we visit but not pages within those sites. So if I went to www.loughor.com, they wouldn't see if I went to the 'sheep' subsections...
By loughor
As an example, yes but as a fact, no. I let the domain lapse as I was no longer getting value. I now use the QNAP DDNS service for my site URL. It still has the sheep, of course, as I know it is popular.

It appears that a speculator has bought loughor.com and is asking loads of money for it. He's welcome. I'd be surprised if anyone wanted it, unless it is the name of their business.
By richietog
lol this site claims it will lose data in 7 days, putting your claims of data loss in 2 years look silly
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/2 ... hout-power

I have tonnes of ssds that haven't been used in months and can guarantee that this isn't true
By Wooster
It probably depends on the the parameters applied.

i.e. A few hundred bit flips per year isn't going to make much of a difference to a drive full of media files, but could be devastating if it's full of raw scientific data.
Music

Pretty cool, but why bother with robots? A good p[…]

what are you playing?

I know, this is why the game is so big in file siz[…]

USB device problems

Powerline adapter. Even that is probably better th[…]

General 'Tech' News

I've been a fan of Eset for years.