Next gen news
By Wooster
I see the NHS has got humped.
I did some work for a number of dental surgeries a few years ago and was shocked that many didn't even have a basic AV package in place and were riddled with low level Malware.
By richietog
I don't believe it was an attack, if it was, the whole system would have been targeted. I do believe Microsoft have to reinvent the kernel as their OS is far too vulnerable to malware. The kernel is nearly 40 years old. Microsoft keep pulling the wool over our eyes in that they keep changing kernel numbers and that's all

Even if software developers would have to rewrite their own software so be it
By Glamdring
I take your point but when some major corporations are running mission critical software based on Windows XP and older, they'll never change to anything new. Too expensive.
By Wooster
They're usually held back by the software they use.
Green screens from the 80's and early 90's were still pretty common for stock control systems until about eight years ago.
Some pharmacies I was working in last year were using XP but certain items were ordered on a piece of software that relied on v.92 modems. (Everything else could be done via Cisco ISR's)
By richietog
I know that some companies are using the XP software, it's down to tight budgets. But I'm sure that the tax system might allow them to update

Anyway, the Independent claims that software analyst put a kill switch by simply registering a domain that didn't exist when the alleged attack began
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 33866.html

Makes sense, if the domain didn't exist, of which it didn't at the start, then the malware would be activated
By richietog
Not that I am trying to cause concern, but it's best to back up or put files on a separate hard drive...just in case
By Glamdring
It exploits a vulnerability MS fixed a few weeks ago, but people don't update and the NHS is often still using Win XP. The vulnerability was known to the CIA or whatever ages ago, but they didn't tell Microsoft.
By Wooster
The guy who discovered the kill switch early on Saturday is accidental hero of the year. 8-)
By richietog
The hackers were trying to hack the domain that they had set up. I think it was a rouse to see what the hackers would do. They obviously fell for it hook, line and sinker
By Wooster
That's quite decent of them. :)

They really ripped into the US Gov as well I see. :?
By Wooster
Anybody buying British Airways line that a simple 'power failure' fucked their IT systems?
By Glamdring
Not even a little bit. It's not possible unless something beyond inept and approaching catastrophic alien invasion were involved. Or outsourcing to India whose idea of a power backup was a guy, a bike and a pedal powered generator.
General Games Comments

I read a report yesterday about a couple of parent[…]

TV

I found it a little slow. I hope it perks up in S0[…]

It'll be Wooster's wifi password...

I don't think there's much in it, but the new Inte[…]