Tech help for the PC
By richietog
Every time I use my external hard drives or flash drives when using the same ports as my wifi adapter, it keeps knocking out the wifi hence can't use the internet

Is there some weird bug or is it just an usb conflict or pci-e limitation being maxed out?
By richietog
As in getting new psu?
By loughor
As in a USB socket should supply 5v but maybe you have too much demand on one internal hub so something loses out on the power it needs and therefore stops working. Is what I understand. WIfi dongles will not be happy if power drops. If it is a desktop, Ethernet is the way to go anyway.
By Wooster
Yep, on both counts.
Even a cheap router acting in bridge mode would be better than a USB dongle on the setup you have.
(More power and larger antennas means that you'll be transmitting a stronger signal and have a better receive sensitivity.)

Bridge Mode means that the router is acting as a client device on the main wireless router, with you connected to the Bridge Mode router via ethernet cable.
By richietog
loughor wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 pm
As in a USB socket should supply 5v but maybe you have too much demand on one internal hub so something loses out on the power it needs and therefore stops working. Is what I understand. WIfi dongles will not be happy if power drops. If it is a desktop, Ethernet is the way to go anyway.
Unfortunately I can't use the ethernet because I am not near the router
QNAP NAS

Yet another firmware update. Two in a month. That'[…]

Music

Pretty cool, but why bother with robots? A good p[…]

what are you playing?

I know, this is why the game is so big in file siz[…]

Apple OS Updates

:)