Tech help for the PC
By richietog
So what loughor saying is that a filter is needed? Because I don’t remember such a thing with the current router
By Wooster
Unless it's plugged into a master socket with one built in.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta ... e-i-got%3F

You'd know, because the standard cable for DSL routers have RJ11 plugs at both ends, so it wouldn't fit in a standard BT(431A) socket.

Any extensions off that master socket would also need microfilters attached if a phone is used on them.
By richietog
The new router has been delivered
By richietog
Wooo, it’s fast
By richietog
Can't seem to find the DNS settings on the new router, perhaps maybe because it's fast enough, but would prefer the DNS on the router
By Wooster
I tried to explain why it doesn't matter, in the simplest of terms, but it appears that I wasted my time.
By richietog
This is the new internet thingy we have

I am assuming at this time that no one is using it, other than me
By richietog
I'm more used to the lag and dis-connections on COD, that I just can't get my head around this speed so far :D
By Glamdring
As I think I've mentioned before:
When TalkTalk finally gave me VDSL, I bought a new router, Netgear 7000 Night-thingie. It worked brilliantly with ADSL, but swapped it over and it simply refused to connect to VDSL. It should have done. I plugged in, after much frustration, put in the cheapo TalkTalk router they gave me and it worked instantly. Bugger.
But lately I've been having to reset that router at the mains when the line drops. Daily. Or twice daily. Or every two days.
Had another go this afternoon with the Netgear. Failed, same problem: wrong username and/or password. It isn't wrong.
So now I'm back with the Talktalk unit.
Humph. :evil:
By Wooster
You should be able to use the Setup Wizard, select your ISP, and it'll pull down the necessary config.
This can take half an hour.

ADSL (PPPoA) used a username (and sometimes a password), but VDSL (PPPoE) is a dedicated line (like Virgin Fibre), so you don't -sorry- shouldn't need any.
By Glamdring
I passed it on through my nephew to a friend of his and they seem to have got it working on his machine. Something to do with typing in the password manually and not using cut and paste from my password record. I won't get it back for a week.
Auto setup had failed, as did manual setup.
By Wooster
I've seen that before
Copy/Paste sometimes copies hidden formatting, might be detected as a copy/paste and rejected, and leaving it blank not accepted (but entering something random can work. i.e. "none").

It's not a great system they use on BT(+reseller) lines tbh.
My mums Post Office/BT ADSL line requires the router to be restarted most mornings...possibly due to it slipping into standby mode (which I'll look into some day).
By richietog
Looks like power management in the router settings. I’m sure you no doubt know about that

Try Acronis software to clone the drive. Follow th[…]

RIP Mary Ellis

Fascinating part she played in WWII, she and hundr[…]

Smart Meters

I see one of the early proponents of them has binn[…]

Books

Some people just don't want to deal with change fo[…]