Tech help for the PC
By Glamdring
After being turned off for six months because I was tired of it and because I had more important things to worry about with my dad's illness I finally reset my TS-421 and updated the firmware. All the data is intact.
My plan is to link it to my HTPC in the living room and stream from here to there. Both are connected to the router by cable.
I'd like to run Plex on my HTPC. Any advice to get this working happily?
By loughor
As long as the HTPC is up to the job (minimum specs on Plex site) then just open a free account, install server from a download, map permanent drives from the PC to the various NAS directories (one for movies, one for TV, etc.) and put those drive letters into Plex server for the various categories. Leave hem both on all the time. Every now and again, I manually check for server updates. You can then, if you like, share libraries. CC's server reports it needs an update.
By Glamdring
Okay. Do I have to leave the HTPC on all the time? The NAS is on 24/7 though the drives shut down after an hour if unused.
I'm going to rebuild my 4-5 yo HTPC with a new i3 Kaby Lake, ect.
By loughor
Well yes, ideally but if you are keeping it to yourself then it matters not, I suppose.
By Glamdring
Ta.

New firmware update today. I will conceded they do look after these machines. I've had this over two years now and firmware updates have come along regularly.
By loughor
My updates have stopped coming. I don't think I've had one in the last year but then I am old and forget things. Certainly not in 2017.

I just checked and it says 12/08/2016, which is August. That is nearly a year so not a bad guess.

I still get the occasional admin login attempt from either spoofed IPs or they really are China, East Europe, Russia or South America. So far they have not got in so I do a life ban on the addresses as routine.
By Glamdring
I've been checking regularly since I set it up again. Nothing so far.
By Wooster
Isn't that like watching paint dry....(or doing a malware and AV scan back in the 90's) :)
By loughor
Despite my NAS having the "check for updates" box ticked, it seems mine actually stopped checking on v4.2.2. I just did a manual check and v4.3.3 is available, and currently installing. I have no idea why it stopped. Maybe it was a feature of 4.2.2.

I've had a few login attempts from random IP addresses just recently. All failed. Attempts at admin, nimda, guest and so on. I know the IPs are probably spoofed but they are all now blocked for ever. I guess my administrator password has been good enough so far. Long may it remain that way.
By Glamdring
Hmm. Better look myself. Mine has been behaving since I transferred all my TV and films onto it.
By loughor
Mine has been fine. It even emailed me to say there was another update. Shame they've gone back to Windows style - er - windows.
By Glamdring
I usually get emails but not for this one. I'm rebooting now prior to installing. It takes ages.
By loughor
Hey, Glam, I just dug out my old Buffalo Linkstation. It still works. I had reset it all to defaults before I stowed it away. 500GB was a decent amount back in the day. It isn't a lot compared to the QNAP's TBs. I don't know what to do with it. I can't easily update the HDD as that requires a Windows utility. I suppose I could remote control my WHS from the Mac and do it from there, I suppose.
By Glamdring
Mine was a 256GB version and was very reliable. I only upgrade when I needed more space. I wouldn't know how to do what you suggest. I never found the Buffalo forums that helpful.

I use it all the time. Not just for email, but to […]

Router Talk

It's working. It does seem to have been the Stardo[…]

Music

Damn, now you made me listen to it again. The fift[…]

Cars on TV

New Wheeler Dealers starts on 4th Oct, with Ant An[…]