Tech help for the PC
By richietog
My current gaming laptop is really driving me mad at the moment

Is this a good replacement laptop?
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6734356

Need a laptop for editing in the field (basically out on the run while doing the tog biz)

Since my current ASUS is literally playing games with me, excuse the pun with the gaming laptop...........
By richietog
This seems to be a new laptop, as I can't find any info (or barely) on the great internet, even google is struggling. Maybe Argos has a cheap import or it's fallen off a lorry somewhere
By Wooster
I'm looking at a new 2in1 and the spec is changing all the time.
£800 is my sweet spot for an ultrabook, so it's in my ballpark, but your requirements will be different to mine.
By richietog
Ah, you have to put ASUS K550IU to find the infomation
By Lotta Lumina
8 GB RAM should be enough for general gaming, although the AMD processor might be a bit of a bottleneck in terms of performance because Intel processors generally perform better in my experience (although AMD is cheaper for what it's worth).

It should be okay for some games, although don't expect it to run the latest and greatest at highest settings.
By richietog
Lotta Lumina wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:40 pm
8 GB RAM should be enough for general gaming, although the AMD processor might be a bit of a bottleneck in terms of performance because Intel processors generally perform better in my experience (although AMD is cheaper for what it's worth).

It should be okay for some games, although don't expect it to run the latest and greatest at highest settings.
I have no intention of heavy gaming, it is mainly meant for editing. Though 8Gb maybe challenging for the likes of Photoshop, Lightroom is a in a word.....lighter, but not totally a memory. I so far, can't get any info on the max RAM that can be installed which matters more than the video for gaming. Though it has a "joint" video and cpu compute power, which is unique...I think
By Wooster
The heat generated would concern me a bit.
Max operating temp of that GPU is 90 degrees, compared to 60 odd for the Intel.
By richietog
It would make a good personal heater during winter though
By richietog
There are photographers who use laptops that aren't Mac
By richietog
It hasn't got a DVD/Blu ray writer, but I rarely use them anyway. It's all flash drives etc these days, cheap as chips as they say
By Wooster
My sister offers both formats for inclusion in her clients photo shoot pack, but most opt for the flash drive
(Even LightScribe is no more.)
By Glamdring
Coincidentally, I had two drives available from my last PC to slot into my new build, but it was the Lightscribe I junked. I kept the Pioneer.

I was just reading about the MDrive, the discs made of some super dense material that's archive quality, 100 years plus. Available in standard form but with the right drive up to 100GB. Library and museum items.
By richietog
OK, an email from tech support says it can support a further 16Gb, which makes it 24Gb in total, but I got a feeling that the 8Gb is sharing with the video, because I tried to run a software which requires 8Gb, it failed to run, hahaha
RIP Robert Hardy

He was in a wheelchair the last time I saw him on […]

Oh no, I didn't disable that service, honestly....[…]

Virgin

In the main I am happy with VM. The odd niggle. I […]

Bugs & Feature Requests

And we have our first entry in the BBcodes submenu[…]