Tech help for the PC
By Wooster
UPS don't last forever, I come across a lot of them.
Fingers crossed.. :)
By loughor
New router in. It took about half an hour what with going through all the port forwarding and so on. It seems to have a stronger signal but too soon to know. I used the same wifi name and password so that kicked in where the other left off. Anyway, I now have a spare router. It's a bugger when one goes pop for real.
By loughor
Just a quick addition - I like that the first thing it does is force you to do is change both the username/password from admin/admin to something user defined (I suppose some will pick admin :roll: ). My browser won't remember the login details. The new interface is easy to navigate and effect changes. I need to get the firmware updated, but that can be a job for the weekend.

-edit- Now no need to register for the three year warranty, since February. Handy.
By loughor
Not that anyone else gives a dump but the new router has been up and solid these last eleven days. Wifi steady. No more random disconnections or dropouts. Not that I expected otherwise.
By Wooster
Plug the old UPS back in and see how it fares.
That would be a fair comparison. :)
By loughor
The UPS is still up, running the NAS (that will theoretically shut itself down properly in the event of a cut rather than shaft the RAID5). It would indeed be fair. Maybe one day when I cba ;)
By NeoDude
loughor wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 am
I always get something more than needed, be it a bigger disk drive, faster CPU and so on.
I'm the same. Hence why my current router is a combination of a Mini-ITX PC and Ubiquiti Access Point. Way over the top yes, but totally solid :)
By richietog
How do I make the new router dongle I use the default gateway the same as the main router so I can connect to the internet? I want to connect to the internet by changing wifi connections but each of the default gateway is different. I can't change the default ip in both otherwise the main one will disconnect everyone in the house, if they are using the main router's gateway ip, hence trouble will ensue. I can't change to the same gateway ip on the wifi dongle because it won't allow to go above a certain number at the end
By Wooster
You can't, it doesn't work that way.

The Wireless Router's default gateway is probably the WAN IP and you'd only be able to use that if you were connected to it directly.
The Routers job is to take the traffic from that connection and route it to devices on the LAN (and WLAN) and their Default Gateway is generally the first available IP on that network.

Imagine it this way.
If you are standing in your bedroom, you can't leave through the front door of the house directly, you need to go through the bedroom door first.
Each doorway is the default gateway to the next.
By richietog
Ah ok, I think the only options to get the faster internet is for me to change it to automatic the network adapter or to connect it via the usb cable
By Glamdring
Having said yesterday Talktalk rarely has line drops I found myself without internet last night around twelve. When I switched the router on and off this morning and got into it, in the log it gives a series of errors,
Intrusion -> SRC=5.101.40.22 DST=79.70.79.138 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=247 ID=25410 PROTO=TCP SPT=54841 DPT=33900 WINDOW=1
The first IP is based in France, and my router logs it as 'warning'.
Suggestions, please.
By loughor
It may not be France, of course. Naughty people are more likely to spoof IPs rather than give away their actual location. The rest is gibberish to me.
By richietog
Another question. What is AP isolation? Will it only connect to devices that have already been connected to the router?

EDIT: Oh I see, it just makes accessing another computer, say for example a network of computers, impossible to connect to one another i.e. unable to see other other computers connected to the wifi or router device
By Glamdring
I'm sure this is related to my router issue noted above. Suddenly I can't print from my PC. My Canon printer is wireless and has worked pretty well until last week when it wouldn't print from any device. A reboot of the router (on/off at the mains and then a software reboot for good measure) got the router working properly.
The printer now prints from my mobile and my laptop, wirelessly.
My PC is connected by cable to the router but not in any way to the printer. When I press Print on a document on the PC it tells me the printer is turned off. It isn't. It simply refuses to print from my PC, when it will print from all the wireless devices I have.
Any ideas why?
By loughor
You would have changed all the access passwords when you first set it up so not sure how it was easily compromised. T'were it mine, I'd be doing a factory reset, change the passwords and then go through the settings one by one. Port forwardings, wifi name/security/password, restrict DHCP range and so on. Or restore the last known good backup .bin file.
Interesting Facts

I don't fancy them. Some swear by them. By all acc[…]

A Google search shows loads based in the USA. :/

Don't ask, don't argue, just watch it. https://you[…]

Apple OS Updates

Retyping generates more data. :)