Tech help for Mac and iOS
By Wooster
loughor wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:26 am
Wooster wrote:Also consider using the router your ISP gave you as a modem only and buy something branded to use for the Switching and WiFi.
Probably the wrong place to mention it but I have seen that it is possible to have the ISP router and a personal one linked and both working but it looks like too much faff for me.
It's not an ideal solution since you can introduce Double NATing (lag) and increase the likelihood of channel interference (packet loss) over WiFi. ;)
By loughor
Yeah I did a quick search and saw it was possible but mentioned stuff like bridging so stopped reading there and then.
By Wooster
Bridging is different, that's the correct way to do it.
ISP device only acts as a modem, the purchased quality device handles switching and wireless routing. :)
By Wooster
My Android phone started to play funny buggers with the WiFi.
It was connected but said that it couldn't connect to the internet. (I could ping it from the router, so it was definitely connected)

What solved it (I think) was going into advanced wireless settings and setting everything manually.
....the funny thing is, when you do that it looks like IP address, DNS settings etc. are already filled in, but I don't think they actually are, and they're just placeholder info (for want of a better term).
RIP Robert Hardy

He was in a wheelchair the last time I saw him on […]

Oh no, I didn't disable that service, honestly....[…]

Virgin

In the main I am happy with VM. The odd niggle. I […]

Bugs & Feature Requests

And we have our first entry in the BBcodes submenu[…]