Tech help for hand-held devices
By Glamdring
A weirdness:
Currently trying to watch a film on Prime. Over just watched an episode of Lucifer, also on Prime. This is on my iPad. It keeps buffering, for a long time, slow internet it says.
When I check on my Galaxy S7 at the same time it reports 11ms ping and 36Mbps download. What's happening?
By Wooster
Apple do networking different to everyone else*, we could be here all week.

If it's connected via WiFi (not 4G/LTE) on either 5GHz, or 2.4GHz (using US regulatory domain settings) then I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is off the top of my head. :/

*you know what they're like, they love reinventing the hexagon.
By richietog
Have you tried to refresh DNS by turning on Airplane mode and turning off after 10 seconds?
By loughor
I mentioned that I recently bought the Dark Sky app. I just put it on my iPad (it cost nothing as I bought for iPhone) and the world precipitation and temperature globe is fun. There's some heavy rain storms around. Still baking in southern Europe. Australia is warmer than here and it is their winter. The future isn't going to be great at this rate.
By loughor
I just installed iOS 11 beta 4 on my iPad. There are visual changes indeed. I'm not one for change, being old, grumpy and farty, but I think I'll get used to and like this. As long as I can do my Calendar and read the e-Magazines, I can take other bugs (he says too soon).
By Glamdring
One of my favourite Android apps is ColorNote. It's allows to to keep notes of whatever you want, and sync them with my PC. It's free. I looked for my iPud. There it is. It's supposedly free but it'll only let me install the Pro version. £33. Yes, right.
By richietog
September 12th they are going to have the usual turgid announcement on new products
By richietog
iOS11 available from the 19th September

Low down from the WWDC from Apple.

New iPhone 8 and 8 plus each to be released later this month. Also iPhone X to be released in October shipping November this year

iPhone X, pretty much the same as iPhone 8/plus, just uses facial recognition for logging into your phone and for payments as well. Evil identical twin means that they can steal all the nasty details including payment, as well as someone decapitating someone to do likewise..........if that wasn't bad enough for TouchID cutting off fingers
By Glamdring
And it didn't work on the announcement show.
If the new camera were to be superb, better than my S7 Edge, I might be tempted. But there's the keyboard. I use my mobile in one hand. I have man size thumbs. Tapping a tiny keypad just doesn't work for me. I use Swype. Or voice recognition.
Interesting Facts

I don't fancy them. Some swear by them. By all acc[…]

A Google search shows loads based in the USA. :/

Don't ask, don't argue, just watch it. https://you[…]

Apple OS Updates

Retyping generates more data. :)