Tech help for hand-held devices
By Glamdring
I've been using a third party text, mms and dialer called Truecaller for a couple of weeks now. It's claim is that it maintains a huge database of numbers and their owners so you can identify unknown callers more readily. It has picked up on a couple of calls it labelled as 'marketing calls' so I blocked them.
Fine.
But it does seem to eat into my battery life. It's always on unless you turn it off in settings, but it's on again the next time you receive a text or call. There are some complaints online but nothing concrete.
Anyone else looked at this app?
By Wooster
Years ago I created a contact called Arsehole for a spam number and set it to automatically reject calls to my phone, and every time I got called by a different spammer, I'd add it to the 'Arsehole' contact (you can add custom number fields, the limit was about 20 including Fax and shit, but might be more now).

I have two of those now, and a 'PPI Arsehole' contact, but the frequency of calls went down with each addition, to the extent that I rarely get any now (I've had the same mobile number for 20 years).

As is usual, I give a fake mobile number to anyone who don't have a reason to phone me.
Exceptions being my bank, my insurance companies and Google/Apple/Microsoft (for two factor authentication).
By loughor
It is a misleading thread title. Truecaller is available for iOS and Microsoft's 'phone OS. My daughter uses Truecaller so I looked into it and decided it was too intrusive for me.

I have a simple rule for mobile calls. If it rings and does not come up as a known contact then it is, by definition, spam. The reason: only selected contacts legitimately have my mobile number.
By Glamdring
I agree, but sometimes I've known legit contacts pass on my mobile number to other legit contacts I didn't know had it, like in the medical depts, the GP passed it on to the district nurse, etc.
By loughor
I get that, the passing on, which is why doctors, dentists and hospitals have my landline. Why would they need my mobile? Nothing is that urgent. I'm not letting Truecaller have access to my information and contacts if "real" people are selectively excluded.
By Glamdring
I have my doubts too, but it's extremely popular. I know that's not an excuse or reason, but neither is it a fly-by-night operation.
By Wooster
If your contact details are a slut, you only have yourself to blame.
(You've known about this shit as long as I have) :)
By Glamdring
I see hackers have fooled the Samsung S8's iris scanner. It wasn't a trivial hack though, involving printing onto a contact lens from an image taken of the victim's eye in night mode. Easier to hit him with a hammer, I'd have thought.
Either way, I'm not upgrading this year.
By Glamdring
When I first got VDSL my upload speed went from 900kbs to maybe 2Mbs. Over the last week or so I've noticed it's gone up to just under 10Mbs. I'm not complaining, but wonder why.
By richietog
Galaxy S9 is going to be £739
By Glamdring
My Samsung S7 Edge just upgraded itself to 8.0, Oreo. Wonder what changes there are.
QNAP NAS

Another firmware update this morning. Two in a fo[…]

Yes. I hoped you meant that. Split. Now see if I […]

Linux Chat

Microshit is rumoured to be buying Ubuntu https://[…]

Cars on TV

Wheeler Dealers refurb Opel Manta (US ed) looked s[…]