Tech help for hand-held devices
By Glamdring
Yes, Apple is messing with me again. They do it deliberately.
I want to install on my iPad Air the Qfile app. Fine. App Store and away I go.

Enter ID for this email address. What? I want to install an app, not take out a loan!

Which ID? The one I have written down that is supposed to be for the iPad, my email main password which would then mean Apple knows it, or my iCloud ID?
Not my thumbprint because that would be too easy.
None work. Thus I'm down to seven goes and at ten I'm in trouble. It'll lock me out for a full day.
Stupid machine, stupid Apple. It's me! It's mine! I bought it with my own money! You know it's me because I've used my thumbprint on the lock screen!

Anyone able to relieve this particular frustration, please? Which ID?
By loughor
When you set it up, you created an Apple ID. You use it to optionally sign into the App Store, iTunes, iCloud and so on. It would be an email address. You would also have set up a recovery email address.

Manage your Apple ID here -> https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

Use the "I forgot my password because I am stupid, not Apple" option ;)
By Glamdring
So why does it say 'use the password for this email address ",,,,,@,,,,,"' and gives me the full email address.
And why do I need to login again when I'm already logged in to the Air?
By loughor
Because using the iPad (security code or fingerprint) does not log you into iCloud or iTunes/App Store by default. You might not want to use them so not be signed in. Once you access the iPad, you can sign in to the other things. It should stay signed in. In that case, you can buy something with a fingerprint. Until you sign out.
By Glamdring
Don't see the point. I only have to login to my PC once, if that. Then I can download the internet. Why can't I use my thumbprint if it really wants an extra layer of security?
By loughor
You can - after you sign in to the App Store once, which is a separate process as your Apple ID may not necessarily be your Store email.
By Glamdring
Okay, I've found the right password. Now it wants my credit card card even though the app is free. I'm in my study, my wallet is in the living room. I really really want to slap Apple developers.
By loughor
It is a one time number entry the first time you enter the Store. It is the same even if you have a free iBook. It is the same as when you set up Steam or Amazon. Do you want to slap them as well?
By richietog
You don't have to put any payment details in. I swear I have never bought an app. Maybe redeemed a voucher, you can get them from well known coffee shop
Interesting Facts

I don't fancy them. Some swear by them. By all acc[…]

A Google search shows loads based in the USA. :/

Don't ask, don't argue, just watch it. https://you[…]

Apple OS Updates

Retyping generates more data. :)