Tech help for hand-held devices
By richietog
If you didn't know already, iOS10.3.1 is out, nuff said
By Glamdring
Since the last main update on my iPud Air 2 whenever I plug in the genuine cable plugged into the genuine charging adapter it says 'not charging'. But it is, so what's going on? I'm not alone in this. I tried a full reboot.

Then I bought one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 to use one point to charge my mobile and then iPad. Works fine though the end of the cable gets hot. I still get the error message though obviously not on the mobile which is Android.
By richietog
Got this app that plays.....erm drumbeats and weird noises. Called Launchpad, supposed to simulate a recording desk

I guess a few sessions on YouTube is coming up
By Splinter
Glamdring wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 pm
Since the last main update on my iPud Air 2 whenever I plug in the genuine cable plugged into the genuine charging adapter it says 'not charging'. But it is, so what's going on? I'm not alone in this. I tried a full reboot.

Then I bought one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 to use one point to charge my mobile and then iPad. Works fine though the end of the cable gets hot. I still get the error message though obviously not on the mobile which is Android.
That's a handy adaptor and begs the question, why wasn't USB-C released ages ago? I have an iPhone 6S and the USB-C connection is the first thing that struck me as idiot proof. Although I'd swap it for a Galaxy 7 Edge any day.
By Wooster
I don't think Apple have adopted USB-C yet. :?

The earlier USB connectors were just smaller versions of the same thing, but the USB-C is a different beast, so all the different hardware vendors (USB Implementers Forum) needed to agree on the details...which takes ages. (iirc it was about 4 years)

Apple could switch to the Lightning connector without any problems, because they only needed to agree the specs with themselves. :)

-edit- A few people have pointed out that USB exists in a quantum state, in that it only has two orientations but needs a minimum of three attempts to get it the right way up. :D
By Glamdring
If you look at the way Apple have dealt with the new MacBook with one port - and adapters costing the same as the GDP of a small country - the next version will have no ports and you'll have to imagine all the peripherals you might attach to it if it had a full array of ports like any proper laptop.
By Wooster
There isn't quite as much call for physical peripheral connectivity as their used to be though.
Wireless is pretty quick and standard, and the higher speeds and interoperability of modern interfaces is doing away with having to lug a bag of cables around.

I actually do have a bag of cables that I still carry with me that I pretty much don't need these days*..it has a RS232/Null Modem cable, Rollover Cable, Crossover Patch Lead, Standard Patch Lead, VGA-VGA lead, HDMI-MiniHDMI, a multi card USB adapter, a powered PATA/SATA adapter, RJ12-BT cable, RJ12-RJ12, spare Microfilter and the ubiquitous Prolific USB/RS232 adapter.
..and that's not mentioning the box of hybrid cables I have in the garage, or the very large bag of audio/video connectors I have in a drawer. :/

*until you do

-edit- I chucked out a PCI/SCSI card last week that I'd been holing onto (just in case :D ) only last week, with a box of other ancient crap. :)
I think it cost about £250 at the time...and the CD burner for it is probably still lurking around somewhere.
By Splinter
Wooster wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:32 pm
I don't think Apple have adopted USB-C yet. :?
My mistake. The Lightning cable is reversible and idiot proof for want of a better description.
By richietog
Oh fuck this, the screen of the iPhone are so fragile
By richietog
iOS10.3.2 is out and it's a strangely big update
By richietog
That was a silent release
iOS 10.3.3 is out, presumably the last for my iPad Mini 2
By richietog
That's fair about the iOS, but I don't go to Apple's OS thread, because I don't intend to own a Mac Book or Mac computer.
World of WarShips

British battleships are available from today.

what are you playing?

Back to the good ole PS4 console and FIFA17. Not g[…]

Laptopsdirect.co.uk

Not too sure what to make of them, personally neve[…]

Virgin

As I clicked "submit" I thought ' oh han[…]