Political discussion. Keep it friendly!
By Glamdring
I see Mrs May's reshuffle is in chaos. I haven't heard of any of the nitwits she's bringing in. We are in real trouble.
By Wooster
Pity a half arsed government and a half arsed opposition don't make a full arsed parliament.
By Glamdring
True enough.

I see Trump says he can beat Oprah at the next Presidential elections. The choice currently then is between the mentally fragile and a gobby narcissist.
By richietog
Wooster wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 pm
Which is which?
Could be both
By Glamdring
On last night's politics show they had a journalist or whatever on who argued with a scary degree of persuasion that Trump is intelligent and successful and if he carries on in the way he is he could win the next election. He regarded any opposition as irrelevant to Trump's job. Andrew Neill or even Portillo were unable to counter him very well.
By Wooster
There was a Republican commentator doing the rounds on radio this morning, possibly him?
By loughor
I heard an American politics analyst, about a week ago, with the opinion that he'll be unlikely to get a second nomination from the Republicans.
By Glamdring
Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 pm
There was a Republican commentator doing the rounds on radio this morning, possibly him?
No, I heard him. He was annoyed with us because of the way we 'disrespected' Trump in Parliament. The guy I heard last night was a smug Brit.
By loughor
There's some Scots guy on TV mouthing off that the Government knew Carillion was in trouble and it is their fault his company lost a million pounds. He knows the Gov knew because he knew. Yet he, knowing, contracted to Carillion. Buh? All that aside, such is the nature of private companies, I'm afraid. If they want much money back, they can take it from the management team. I'm sure they've salted a few million squids away.
By Wooster
Contracting usually means you wait months for your invoices to clear and the service agreements usually have a penalty clause, so you can't just bail out.
He might have signed that agreement a couple of years ago, when everything was going fine.

If it was known that they were likely to fold, then the time could have been used to restructure the various contracts they had in place and provide a continuation of service.
Instead, they kept paying dividends to shareholders and high wages to the directors.
(Without looking, I reckon I probably have about £16,000 of invoices to be paid in the coming months and I only work for myself with no long term equipment leases on the books.)

He'll be the first of many and I heard this morning that layoffs have already begun in some of their support companies.
By Wooster
I'm hoping Falcs is OK.
His line of work/employer is one of those that might be exposed to the collapse. :/
By Wooster
Why is the London news so enamoured by calling stuff 'Boris'?
Wasn't it Ken Livingston who brought those bikes in?

'Boris Island' ..the airport in the Thames, with a tidal range so high they needed to build a barrier against it.
And now some other Boris thing about a bridge over the channel...like a fucking moonshot as far as the UK economy is concerned.

Trump's claims of Fake News doesn't sound so daft now.

I hate Chrome 69, both for pc and iOS. And presuma[…]

Cars on TV

The new Fifth Gear was quite good. Channel 5.

Cars in General

I have one (no GPS, fits around the rearview on th[…]

what are you playing?

Software wise i can get most things so if you ge[…]