Tech help for the PC
By McCloud94
On one of the company's PCs there were issues with RAM.

8x8GB sticks... I was running MemTest to test the RAM and changing the individual sticks to see which one is faulty.

I was happy to find one, but after letting the test run on the remaining 7, I got an error again..

Is there a more optimal way to determine which of the sticks is causing trouble ?

Running the test let's say for 30 min on each stick individually is gonna take ages.
By Wooster
Did you make a note of which DIMM slot the faulty one was in?
Is there a possibility that the fault lies there and you put a good one in a faulty slot?
By richietog
The only way I can suggest is to take them all out and stick one in at a time
By McCloud94
Wooster wrote:Did you make a note of which DIMM slot the faulty one was in?
Is there a possibility that the fault lies there and you put a good one in a faulty slot?
yep, I know which slot it was in..

So I'd basically have to take one stick at a time and test it always in one slot ?

And if all the sticks are good, then take one of them and try out all the DIMM slots ?

The problem is, the error comes after random times during the MemTest.. sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after 30.
By Wooster
That's a bit strange, MemTest runs a sequential pattern iirc, so it should fail in the same place.

It could be the memory controller, or the RAM settings themselves (Clock and Voltage) that are causing the problems.
If you know the model number for the RAM then the mobo manufacturer should have a memory compatibility list which details the setting to be used in BIOS.
i.e. Some RAM might specify that it should run at 1.65V but the motherboard manufacturer might specify 1.5V with those particular modules.
By McCloud94
ok, thanks.

I've managed to find the 2nd faulty stick after all.
I've noticed the MemTest had to be maxed out to use really all the available memory.
QNAP NAS

Another firmware update this morning. Two in a fo[…]

Yes. I hoped you meant that. Split. Now see if I […]

Linux Chat

Microshit is rumoured to be buying Ubuntu https://[…]

Cars on TV

Wheeler Dealers refurb Opel Manta (US ed) looked s[…]