Political discussion. Keep it friendly!
By Wooster
I see that Karen Bradley (Northern Ireland Secretary) has admitted to being entirely ignorant of the political situation in Ulster on as fundamental a level of not knowing the difference between Republican and Unionist voting preferences.

In the face of such abject ignorance, it's hard to understand what she hopes to achieve in the role, why she was appointed in the first place, and is probably indicative of the draining of effective talent in the major political parties of the UK.

Who knows though...maybe ignorance will prove to be positive. :)
Last edited by Wooster on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Wooster
Has London and its surroundings become the 5th Nation of the UK?
It's been that way for a while, but they're not even bothering to make an effort any more, are they?

I'm all for federalism btw, in Europe or in the UK.
By richietog
Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:39 pm
Has London and its surroundings become the 5th Nation of the UK?
It's been that way for a while, but they're not even bothering to make an effort any more, are they?

I'm all for federalism btw, in Europe or in the UK.
No idea, and I live there :lol:
By Wooster
Ahh, you're in the bubble looking out. :)
As far as most of the News and Politics is concerned, if it isn't happening or affecting in or around London, it doesn't exist or matter.
It's like the bubble has a shiny inside and all they see is reflections of themselves. ;)
By Wooster
Glamdring wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:28 pm
If only Ruth Davidson could become our PM. I'd vote for her.

Bit boring, but worth mentioning to make a point.

In 2016 Ruth Davidson said “The First Minister (Nicola Sturgeon) should commit to re-entering Scotland into all the main international education comparison tests and should design the new standardised tests at P1, P4 and P7 according to these international standards.”

..and the Scottish Government did.

But now that some teachers and parents have complained that it's making some children cry (possibly apocryphal), it's the worst idea ever and she's asking for the testing she recommended only two years ago to be scrapped.

I don't have a dog in the race, but from what I read it's not a test, it's an assessment.
There's no pass or fail, no invigilators are involved, no revision is required and pupils can can take it, individually, any time the teachers feel they're ready to do so in the first year.

I'll give BBC Scotland their due, they did report on studies that the problem might be parents and teachers putting far too much emphasis on the importance of the assessment and creating undue stress for some of the pupils involved.

...you know what it's like...conjure up the image of a test or exam and everyone will equate it with high levels of stress, so the Scottish Tories have tried to capitalise on this and been hoist by their own petard.

So that's typical Ruth 'The Mooth' Davidson for you.
By Glamdring
Fair point well made. The PISA tests are certainly a bone of contention in all parts of the UK. And I don't doubt Ruthie as a politician is quite capable of changing her mind. She's a woman as well, so doubly so!
By Wooster
I was talking to someone the other day who said that we seem to be be breeding a population of emotional retards that are soft as shite.
Implication being that they're not aggressive, assertive or emotionally robust enough to cope with adult life.

Weirdly, the same sentiment was repeated by someone I was talking to in a different city and in an entirely different context, later that week.
(I think it was in a University campus when talking to one of the accommodation staff about the state of some of the residences)

...again, no dog in the race, so just shrugged my shoulders and said it seems that way.
By Wooster
I see SKY have picked up The London Cat Killer fantasy, despite overwhelming evidence that they've been knocked down and scavenged by foxes.
Interviewing owners with a tentative grasp of reality doesn't help, but they know exactly what they're doing.

I hate Chrome 69, both for pc and iOS. And presuma[…]

Cars in General

I have one (no GPS, fits around the rearview on th[…]

what are you playing?

Software wise i can get most things so if you ge[…]

PS3 eject button

I do have a 4, but want to sell the 3.