PC-Forums

Photo import program on Windows

Guest · 5 · 728

Andrew

on: February 01, 2019, 07:11:11 PM
Hi

As I mentioned before I volunteer at a technology clinic where we help people use computers, tablets and mobiles etc..  One of the things people struggle with on Windows is importing photos from their digital cameras, mobiles and tablets.  Is there a easy program that can do this for them besides the in built one with Windows?  I normally copy across the photos manually from my devices to my computer but they find this too complicated to do and I was wondering if there was a free program that they could use?  When I say Windows I mean for various versions as we get people with windows 10, 7 and occasionally 8.

Thank you if you can advise.

Andrew

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:29 PM
Hi mate, not seen you in a while. All good?  :cool:

Old cameras usually have a USB port and it'll show up as a removable storage device in various versions of Windows when connected.*
If they use an SD card, you could buy a cheap USB card reader to pull the images direct from the (removed) card.

For Android and Apple devices, they usually back up to a Cloud Account and they can be downloaded from there.

*Connect and Android phone via USB and you should also get a Removable Storage option to pull photos from.

Andrew

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:50:37 PM
Hi

Yes I am good thank you.  How are you?

Problem is that to move stuff from camera they find the windows options to access device to difficult to remember, I know that sounds silly but unfortunately people struggle with the way you suggested and they struggle with finding the right folder and copy/cut and paste on to the right folder on computer.  It's easy for me but not for them it is not. Is there a wizard or free program besides what comes with windows that they could try?

They have used Picasa before but that is no longer updated.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 10:24:26 PM
Rule #1 you should be teaching is File Structure, it's a fundamental principle that's almost completely overlooked.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:49:21 AM
With regard to digital cameras, I suggest you remove the SD card and slot it in the laptop directly. If it doesn't have one, and almost all do these days, use a USB adapter. Very easy.

The mobiles are different. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201489390

If they have an Amazon Prime account which automatically uploads photos, then downloading them is also pretty simply. This does cost of course.
With a free Amazon account you get about 5GB space to play with for nothing.