PC-Forums

The NUC

richietog

• Administrator
on: July 19, 2020, 12:07:56 PM
Next Unit Computing, that what it stands for

Does it have any use to be in computing? Or is Intel trying to compete with the popularity of the Raspberry Pi?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Unit_of_Computing

Not thinking of getting one, just curious as to use of these computing devices, other than their attempt to sell silicon to us. I heard rumours that AMD, oh for heaven sake........., are getting on board, excuse the pun

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:01 PM
Most KFC's in the UK will be using two or three of these to run their digital signage, online ordering and their kitchen/in house ordering systems.
They seem pretty robust as most have been in for a couple of years running 24/7 and I don't think I've ever seen a call out to replace one.

They save a fair bit of space as well, as they replaced Lenovo Desktops. (To that effect, I've seen quite a few appearing in call centres as well, replacing their old Thin Clients.)

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 01:28:42 PM
Most KFC's in the UK will be using two or three of these to run their digital signage, online ordering and their kitchen/in house ordering systems.
They seem pretty robust as most have been in for a couple of years running 24/7 and I don't think I've ever seen a call out to replace one.

They save a fair bit of space as well, as they replaced Lenovo Desktops. (To that effect, I've seen quite a few appearing in call centres as well, replacing their old Thin Clients.)

I can imagine that they'll replace desktops in an environment where people can't fit them

keasy

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 08:13:54 PM
We have loads of them in the hospital as console work stations.
They're really good.

I don't think they're out to encroach on the Pi space. They're more for working environments where as the Pi is for hobbyist projects and it's initial purpose to promote coding.