PC-Forums

My first AMD build

richietog

• Administrator
on: July 24, 2020, 09:54:58 PM
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X with fan
Opted to go for Kingston DRAM, nothing to do with the current situation with corsair
Gigabyte B450-I Mini-ITX mobo
Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX case

Old components
ASUS Strix GTX 1050ti graphics
OCZ 750W PSU, and they were bought by Toshiba (or were they?), but they went defunct in 2016, so that's the oldest component. I wonder why OCZ went bust if they built PSU that were so reliable
Assortment of old SSD and 3.5" (4 max drives)

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:40:01 AM
Gigabyte boards are the best boards I've used so far (current Aorus X570), they've proved bullet proof so far and been far more flexible in regards to memory.
My old ASUS boards were fussy as fuck about memory timings, voltage and clock multiplier..and so far back that they didn't even have dual BIOS.

Thinking about it, I haven't had that much luck with any ASUS hardware.

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:31:32 AM
I just wanted something different.

I've been with ASUS since the late 90s, and that's all I bought since, even have two laptops that are ASUS

keasy

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:52:43 AM
OCZ were bought over by Toshiba, you're right.

Initially they started up as a company selling prebinned CPUs to to the enthusiast PC market at a mark up.  Hence the name as they were purely about the overclock. That led to them building quality PSUs too. They were implicit in the populisation of SSD technology within the (again) enthusiasts PC market and their focus became directed upon the same. Unfortunately for them everyone else saw the same opportunity and OCZ lost their way to be bought over by Toshiba who still make OCZ branded SSDs.

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 03:14:26 PM
Next time I will take blind bit of notice to the reviews, where they claimed you need to update the BIOS to make the CPU work with it.

I guess they didn't install the parts correctly.

It's also been a while since I've installed a PGA CPU. The last I got that was PGA was before the i7-950 which was the first LGA. Not very good markings on the motherboard. Better in the manual though

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:59:59 AM
I don't what OS to put on

I was wanting to make this a server, but the case doesn't allow for secured housing of the 3.5" hard drives I have, unless it can be secured with one or two screws

I'm thinking either Mint, Ubuntu or OEM flavoured Windows since I already have the drivers from the disc

keasy

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 01:23:52 PM
I have x2 HDDs just lying there unsecured.
Just fuck them in where you want is my mantra  :cheesy:

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 09:13:37 AM
OK, I managed somehow to get a eureka moment last night and decided to see what the use the grommets and strange screws was all about...