PC-Forums

Ampere

keasy

on: September 03, 2020, 08:01:31 AM
Anyone planning on buying?

The upcoming 3070 is as powerful as a 2080Ti.

WOW

I normally skip a gen on new gfx cards and I'm due my quadrennial update. Rdna2/BigNavi has got to go some to best the new Nvidia beasts.

If AMD come in the ring dancing on their toes and throwing big aggressive pricing punches I may go that route but, they have a big job in front of them now.

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 09:42:29 AM
i am certainly thinking of getting one for xmas!!! as long as my board takes it!!!

Splinter

• The Last British President
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 04:42:04 PM
An RTX2080Ti goes for more than the value of my bike down here :embarrassed:

keasy

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:33 PM
Reviews are out and AMD is behid already by the looks of it.

Guess we will wait and see but, I can't see them matching this level. Although if they do produce a card between the 3070 and 3080 as per recent net rumors  at 3070 prices then it's still all to play for.

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:21 AM
already got my 3090TI Super Founders edition GT sli set up in the pc!!!!...........Not  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Splinter

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 12:15:54 PM
AMD are going to have to pull a few rabbits out of the hat after this. Not only on performance, but also on price. The 3080 is an absolute beast and when the time comes for me to upgrade my RX580, I'm definitely going to see what AMD have to offer.
They've given Intel a good slapping, so what's to stop them getting the jump on Nvidia? It's about time, because at the moment they are light years behind in GPUs.

keasy

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 10:25:53 PM
Fingers, toes, eyes, arse cheeks crossed they make a competitor.

keasy

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 06:12:18 PM
AMD 6800/xt has arrived and they're now back in the game. Equal to and sometimes beating the green team and in some titles bested. It's a return to the top for the reds.

I managed to get a 6800 in my basket at scan within the first minute of launch but, when i went to pay it timed out and it was gone.

After the initial disappointment this appeared with 24 units arriving next week...

Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC

The AMD is a few frames above in standard rasterisation but turn the Ray/Path Tracing on and the Nvidia card is 40% faster.
I really want to play Cyberpunk with RT

Anyhoo, I managed to get one. Or my order is accepted I should maybe say.

Fingers, eyes, toes, arse cheeks crossed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:17:25 PM by keasy »

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 08:24:22 PM
Very nice!!!
Problem i will have if i get one is my pcu will bottleneck it i think

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 04:24:54 PM
You could buy a good telly for that money. 🙂

keasy

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 05:11:47 PM
You could buy a good telly for that money. 🙂

A good telly but not an oled or amazing telly.  :tongue:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 06:58:37 PM
Goodly chunk of one though. 😎

keasy

Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 08:13:04 PM
~half of one.

Me PC is me thang man it comes first. I spend more time in front of this machine than the telly.   :afro:
And, well, I think I'm in love with it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:18:47 PM by keasy »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 09:49:21 PM
I know man, it's your Fortress of Solitude. 😉

Splinter

Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 10:41:55 PM
Enjoy your RTX loveliness, Keasy!
Ampere won't be down here for a while, so I'm thinking of getting an Asus ROG 5700XT 8GB, if I can save enough money. They knock the socks off my RX580, apparrently and the 6000 series won't here for ages either.
This is what it  looks like in my head.

keasy

Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 09:00:55 PM
The 580 is still a good performing card AFAIC mate. I've had one in my youngest's PC for two years now and it's an incredibly good card for the money and its age.
-----------------------------------------------------

New card arriving Monday.

Except it isn't, it arrived today!

Ooooohh fuckin yeaaaaah!    :evil:   :grin:

*Yes, I did not hoover the stairs before taking that pic. Dem cat hairs make it more homely, don't you think?   :cheesy:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:04:07 PM by keasy »

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 09:24:32 PM
lucky bugger!!!

Splinter

Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 11:27:04 AM
The 580 is still a good performing card AFAIC mate. I've had one in my youngest's PC for two years now and it's an incredibly good card for the money and its age.
-----------------------------------------------------

New card arriving Monday.

Except it isn't, it arrived today!

Ooooohh fuckin yeaaaaah!    :evil:   :grin:

*Yes, I did not hoover the stairs before taking that pic. Dem cat hairs make it more homely, don't you think?   :cheesy:
Oooh, that does look nice!
And yes, my Asus ROG Strix RX580 OC (the names get longer and longer) is still performing very well indeed, but to upgrade it is going to cost an arm and a leg. Probably upwards of $750.
I think I'll save my money for a new motorcycle instead.

keasy

Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 01:20:08 PM
My eldest son was running my old 970 Strix up until yesterday when he got my 1070. The Strix has been one of my favourite graphics cards ever. They're pre-binned with the best silicon and their cooling is always top. The 970 was built to nuclear bunker standards and over clocked like no other card I've had.

I've been struggling with the 3070 as i thought it was DOA as there was no DP signal. Messed about and it came to life but Windows was acting weird. Stuff had disappeared etc games were quite stuttery. Thought I'd do a DDU and go outright clean with the driver set. Nothing much changed so did a format, stuff it. Its not a big ask these days and it eliminates any W10 weirdness. It was as if the license was viewing the hardware change as a new system.

Full BIOS reset (I hate my BIOS) and fresh install later and I've just ran Doom Eternal at nightmare settings. Pretty sweet man, it's jaw droppingly fast and the eye candy is frankly stunning.

I also noticed last night that my DP cable was practically stuck in my monitor's DP port, as if the connector too big and may be (maybe not) causing issues.
Just to eliminate my fear I've bought a new DP 1.4 cable. Sixteen buckaroos for a cable is pretty steep but I'm buying confidence and eliminating that nag as much as the product itself.

Splinter

Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 04:12:04 PM
I had an MSI 970 which I passed onto the stepson and it's still going strong. Helluva card as an upgrade from a Radeon 7950.
That's really odd about Windows and your new 3070. Mind you, last week I had to reinstall Windows because an update completely screwed up my system and nothing I could do would bring it back.
The biggest pain is rejigging all the games, particularly GamePass/MS games. You have to download them all over again. Pain in the rear.
I also had a problem with a cheap DP cable a couple of years ago and ended up buying a Club 3D cable which solved the problem immediately. Cheap cables never pay.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:18:14 PM by Splinter »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 06:50:42 PM
That's a whopper. 😎