PC-Forums

Reasonably Chuffed

keasy · 16 · 1226

keasy

on: October 05, 2020, 09:27:21 PM

Would be nice to hit that total 1gig but I doubt that will ever happen. Not bad for just three of dem British Pounds more than what I was paying for 200meg.

Too early to see the BQM, fingers crossed.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 11:53:09 PM
Shite!
You'll never be able to use all of it, you lucky bastard. 😋

keasy

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 12:21:00 PM
Shite!
You'll never be able to use all of it, you lucky bastard. 😋

Run a cable or one of those satellite dish type beam WiFi thingythings from mine to yours and we'll half it  :grin:

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 03:39:19 PM
Very nice who is that with?

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 03:40:00 PM
doh! it says Virgin media :)
How much are you paying as i pay 52 quid for 100meg line off them?

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 05:00:58 PM
He snagged it for £69 a month I think.

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 05:18:41 PM
Farking hell. Nearly 1gb download. So jealous. Need it for my server :laugh:

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 06:19:30 PM
He snagged it for £69 a month I think.

Bloody hell how?

keasy

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 07:53:21 PM
£69 per month with MiXit TV and weekend landline calls inclusive.

Was paying £66 for 200 meg and the same TV and landline.
Decided as I was out of contract it was time to broker me some dealings.

You have to be savvy with VM and try mixing different packages etc. Eg, my deal wasn't letting me do it without the phone, with the nearest deal being £85 for 500 meg and large package TV with a bumf load of shite I'd never watch, plus I don't believe in paying stupid money to subsidize stupid money for footballers' wages.
Anyway, when you have a look on their site do it either via VPN or your mobile (mobile data if with VM not via your home WiFi)  or they will know you're already with them, you're looking to see what new customer prices are as a bargaining chip.
So you phone them up, go direct to cancellations and tell you're out of contract, new customers get this and that, you've been loyal, etc and you want the same or you're leaving. Tell them your relative works for Sky and can get you the top package there for like £20 a month under Sky's employee scheme called 'friends and family' so it doesn't look like an empty threat. Be nice, be patient. they will hum and haw and say they're phoning this department and say that package isn't coming up for them etc. it's all part of the game. they will use a classic tactic on you known as 'Dead Air' where the human pysche wants to fill in gaps in a conversation, when you start talking when they're silent , they are in control. So just be quite and wait for them to reinitiate.
It's that simple, just stick with it, keep saying you feel it's unfair.

You can also quote the deal someone else got. If you want Falcs when the time comes you can PM me and I'll give you my full name and postcode, my favourite food and sexual position.  :grin:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 09:00:16 PM
Don't do it man! You don't want that shit in your head. 😂

keasy

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 10:59:35 PM
Line is starting to settle a bit with DSLReports.

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 11:59:08 PM
I guess you're not bothered about the upload speed being a bit naff. Thought it was on a 10:1 ratio of down/up

Me being a tog, I would be happy at that speed for uploads, but the faster the better

keasy

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 07:26:10 AM
VM have never done symmetric afaik.
DOCSIS 3.1 can support it but i don't know if it can sustain it.
DOCSIS 4.0 is already a thing and can definitely handle a symmetrical connection so who knows maybe soon. I'm not complaining as vm are fttc and that upload is literarily one hundred times faster than my first ever broadband download.  :cheesy:

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 09:09:10 AM
Hmm i may try it as i am on a month rolling contract i think at the moment paying £50.50 for 108mb download

keasy

Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 06:19:56 PM
Go for it mate.  :afro:

Splinter

• The Last British President
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 09:10:26 PM
£69 per month with MiXit TV and weekend landline calls inclusive.

Was paying £66 for 200 meg and the same TV and landline.
Decided as I was out of contract it was time to broker me some dealings.

You have to be savvy with VM and try mixing different packages etc. Eg, my deal wasn't letting me do it without the phone, with the nearest deal being £85 for 500 meg and large package TV with a bumf load of shite I'd never watch, plus I don't believe in paying stupid money to subsidize stupid money for footballers' wages.
Anyway, when you have a look on their site do it either via VPN or your mobile (mobile data if with VM not via your home WiFi)  or they will know you're already with them, you're looking to see what new customer prices are as a bargaining chip.
So you phone them up, go direct to cancellations and tell you're out of contract, new customers get this and that, you've been loyal, etc and you want the same or you're leaving. Tell them your relative works for Sky and can get you the top package there for like £20 a month under Sky's employee scheme called 'friends and family' so it doesn't look like an empty threat. Be nice, be patient. they will hum and haw and say they're phoning this department and say that package isn't coming up for them etc. it's all part of the game. they will use a classic tactic on you known as 'Dead Air' where the human pysche wants to fill in gaps in a conversation, when you start talking when they're silent , they are in control. So just be quite and wait for them to reinitiate.
It's that simple, just stick with it, keep saying you feel it's unfair.

You can also quote the deal someone else got. If you want Falcs when the time comes you can PM me and I'll give you my full name and postcode, my favourite food and sexual position.  :grin:
That's a cool tactic and one that I learned in sales training - he who speaks first, loses :)
Actually, I try this with the telcos down here who are perfectly happy to rip you off for years on end if you don't get on their case. Although we've now cut the cable, we're getting twice the speed at half the cost all because I picked up the phone.
Okay, it's only 100Mbps, but it's enough for us.