PC-Forums

Q for Hap or anyone else that's into audio equipment

keasy

on: January 04, 2021, 10:12:23 PM
I'm considering buying a turntable, I may not and buy a Razer Basilisk Ultimate wireless mouse instead but at £150 it's a big ask for a mouse, but it's shiny and I wants it my precioussss

Anyway,

Turntables I'm considerin g are
- Audio Technica AT-LP3
- Pro-Ject Primary E
- Rega Planar 1

I really like the idea of the Audio Technica's fully automated arm but it has a built-in phono stage which I don't want, as my Stereo Network receiver's phono stage is more than sufficient. Would they both trip over each other? The AT also has a swappable cartridge so should the notion grab I could upgrade at a later date.

The rega and pfo-ject are both basic but focus purely on the sound with an easy no specific range out sounding another, so sonically focused.

The Rega is a bit more expensive than the pro-ject but it's a well-established entry table with just that bit more style over the pj.

What do you reckon?

Hap_Hazzard

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:53:51 PM
What is the rest of your gear, set up etc. I’ll get back tomorrow as I’m going to bed now. For a start don’t bother with the at lp3, there best deck bang for buck is the At lp5 I have used  this a few times at hifi shows / exhibitions and it was well received by the public but it was modded up quite a bit, but as a standard model it is simple to use and sounds pretty good. Secondhand they are a steal. They can take reasonable cartridge upgrades as well . There Microline tip cartridge will cost as much as your deck though, but it will make a huge difference to the sound than the standard 95 cartridge supplied. Best bet for this money is probably a secondhand 70/ 80’s deck, don’t dismiss them most are better than the crap turned out today at £200-500 quid, it’s the cartridge that will make most difference. Let me have a think and I’ll get back to you tomorrow.

Happy to help Hap.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:03:29 AM by Hap_Hazzard »

keasy

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 12:03:24 AM
Aye,
Happy Happledays, each and every one of us!
Gawd bless uz!
 :cheesy:

Hap_Hazzard

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:12:08 AM
Put up the rest of your system your going to connect the turntable to and I can then made a better formed decision, on that budget though I think a deck with a detachable head shell would be better for upgrading cartridges in the future or for just swapping out when bored , otherwise you need to go through all the tone arm and cartridge alignments every time you change the cartridge with the detachable head shell it’s just screw it in and of you go, or go for a t4p cartridge, with no alignment , not easy eh. A t4p cartridge will limit you options though.

keasy

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 12:40:49 PM
Soz man, I just spent the money on a promise of buying my kid some new Timberland boots.

Dang man.  :evil:

Hap_Hazzard

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 06:33:35 PM
 :cheesy: Feet come first.

If I was you I would just go with a technics deck to start with , I picked up a mint SL - QX200  for £60 on Facebook, but the best thing was it came with a also minty T4P Ortofon OMP 10 cartridge and stylus worth around £100 quid.  Facebook was my friend.   :laugh: I’ll keep a lookout up your area for you.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 06:32:41 PM
All this talk reminds me of my first high end stereo setup.  :cool:
It was a Sanyo Walkman, powered with an old model railway transformer (dial Pot, so you could give it some extra juice), hooked up to a pair of ancient gramophone speakers with a pair of shotgun wires soldered to a jack I bought from Magnum Sound.

keasy

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 08:01:27 AM
And many an album was discovered on it by many a stoned youth.

Hap_Hazzard

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 12:13:14 AM
All this talk reminds me of my first high end stereo setup.  :cool:
It was a Sanyo Walkman, powered with an old model railway transformer (dial Pot, so you could give it some extra juice), hooked up to a pair of ancient gramophone speakers with a pair of shotgun wires soldered to a jack I bought from Magnum Sound.

Hi fi snob.    :laugh:

Hap_Hazzard

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 09:33:19 PM
Keasy, you better be quick mate cause you won’t get a better new turntable for this kind of money. I’m tempted myself as I know how good it is , but my Mrs would kill me as i already have 3 turntables. I have had this turntable on loan a few times and it punches well above its weight. Put a AT-95ML  or a AT95 SH stylus  on it in the future when money allows (the supplied existing cartridge will take these upgraded stylus’s)   and this thing really sings.

Two of my turntables are better than this, but I would be more than happy to live with one of these as it does lot of things right. Now I might have just talked myself into one.  It will shit all over the other ones you were considering.

If your not fast your last.  :grin:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/turntables/audio-technica-at-lp5-direct-drive-turntable-black-10144418-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0003%20%28DSA%29%20Turntables~Audio%20Technica~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=39700020368441216&tgtid=0003%20%28DSA%29%20Turntables&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzLj08fmR7gIViBoGAB0dbAkNEAAYASAAEgLuGfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:02:45 PM by Hap_Hazzard »

keasy

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 09:53:32 PM
Not available in or near my nearest store.
Not available for delivery.

Hap_Hazzard

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 10:01:26 PM
That’s a bummer mate cause these are a good bang for buck turntable.   :cry:

keasy

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 07:38:19 AM
Tried everywhere, no availability.
Not that i can travel outwith my local area anyway but  :cry: