PC-Forums

It rained on my PC

Splinter

• The Last British President
on: January 11, 2021, 06:46:25 PM
Leak in the roof and a significant amount of rainwater dripped into my main rig. It wasn't running but it was plugged in.
Long story short, stripped it down to bar bones, mobo battery the lot including cpu removal and I'm now gently drying the main components with a fan.
Some have suggested spraying with Isopropyl alcohol to make sure any remaining H2O is removed. I will probably leave it to dry for several days since I have another gaming PC, thank goodness.
Just effing bad luck I suppose, especially since I had just bought a brand new RX5700XT!

keasy

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 07:34:39 PM
Defo want to spray it with IPA mate as it's not any remaining water that will cause the damage (well it would obviously if there was some) but more the residual impurities it leaves behind that's the killer.

Also, that is rotten luck bud, fingers crossed it springs back to life.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:38:18 PM by keasy »

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 09:01:02 PM
I would be more concerned also with the PSU, since capacitors inside them can store a really high charge

Obviously, opening the PSU not can invalidate the warranty if it's has a lifetime warranty, but you could get a nasty shock

Jezreel

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 09:54:41 AM
If the worst happens, is it insured?

Splinter

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 12:56:48 PM
Nah, it's not insured because that kind of cover is way too much here.
I'll be drying it all out until at least Thursday and am using the IPA to get rid of any remaining water, if any. The hot weather helps of course and it's all been under a gentle fan since yesterday.
I'm having kittens over the first test bench post  :huh:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 01:00:04 PM
It should be fine.

I experimented with an old Cisco 3508 aggregation switch that had a couple of duff ports on it, so I stripped it down and stuck it in the dishwasher, full wash without salt or detergent and it was fine*. The duff ports even started working again. (The whole board was rank with dust, so figure there were some shorts somewhere.)
I also sat one of my survey laptops in a pool of water one night (leaky air con) and a fan sooked the water right into it. I stripped it as much as I could and dried it on a radiator and it's still working. I thought it was a stick on to be dead since as soon as I realised my hand was wet it did a hard shutdown with a mad click.

*There's probably a caveat here, we're in a soft water area, so there's not much residue (calcium carbonate) left to speak of.

Splinter

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 03:44:14 PM
I'm sticking to Thursday or maybe even Friday and resisting the temptation to hook it up  :tongue:

Splinter

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 09:14:39 PM
In the end a few jobs got cancelled so I got stuck in and no apparent damage has been done. I think the three days of running the fan on the parts must have helped and maybe a bit of luck  :cool:

richietog

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 09:47:49 PM
Good to know its back up and running again

Jezreel

Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 09:50:09 PM
Nice

keasy

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 11:10:09 PM
In the end a few jobs got cancelled so I got stuck in and no apparent damage has been done. I think the three days of running the fan on the parts must have helped and maybe a bit of luck  :cool:

Looks better than your actual case  :cheesy:

Proper test bench-type set up there. not kidding, that does actually look deliberate.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 11:40:55 PM
On a breadboard as well. 🙂
The old VGA monitor looks like a spare though.

Splinter

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 10:50:18 AM
Yes, it's my garage workshop/office which I've been using for a couple of years now since I closed the shop thus cutting out a pile of overheads :)
The monitor is an old Asus 22" and the VGA to HDMI adaptor works surprisingly well and so does the VGA/DVI one, but many cards today don't even come with DVI anymore anyway.