PC-Forums

Contacts stored on Samsung S20 +

Andrew

on: February 03, 2021, 07:08:24 PM
Hi

I am trying to help a friend who has an Android Samsung S20+ with their contacts.

They have checked to see where their contacts are stored and they are on their actual phone and they are not stored on the sim, google account or samsung account.

I explained to my friend that you need to have a backup copy on your google account so that if their mobile gets lost or stolen they can retrieve their contact numbers.

On my S8 phone my contacts are stored on my google account and 8 Tesco Mobile service numbers on my sim.  I have seen that I can sync to my google account with my contact details which I do and it is listed as the default location.

On my friends phone if I instruct them to set it to sync with google, would you also recommend they use the move option to move the contacts from phone to google account as well?  If they did that would that double up the contacts on the phone?  Should I set the contacts default location as google account on their phone?

Sorry if these questions are a bit dumb, but I am trying to help my friend who isn't computer savvy and they live elsewhere in the town but I can't see them to help them I have to instruct them over the landline using my S8.

Thank you if you can advise.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:10:15 PM by Andrew »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 07:40:07 PM
I don't think it'd double them if you changed the storage location to their Google account.

Andrew

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 01:49:07 PM
I don't think it'd double them if you changed the storage location to their Google account.

OK thank you for that Wooster.

Next time I speak to them I will get them to change their default location to their google account.

Thank you again.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 02:17:00 PM
They might need to manually run a sync after that. Tbh it wouldn't hurt running it anyway, as you suspected.

Andrew

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 06:28:48 PM
I have just spoken to my friend and I have helped them set the default location to Google and also shown them how to do a manual sync over the phone to make sure their contact details are online like you suggested.

Thank you for your help Wooster.

It did take a few times for my friend to get it right as there is a contacts app that is blue and and one that is orange and it was the orange one we needed but my friend went into the blue one by mistake! :-)

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 07:23:57 PM
Did they log into Google and check the contacts were there? (just to make sure.) 😊

Andrew

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 06:25:33 PM
They didn't but on your recommendation I will do that next time I speak to them.

Thank you Wooster. :-)