PC-Forums

Netflix

Wooster

• Administrator
on: October 16, 2018, 07:41:05 PM
Just watched Operation Finale on Netflix and Ben Kingsley almost makes you feel sorry for the bastard:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 06:14:08 PM
One of the fundamental problems with Netflix is the 'matching' system.

Instead of any actual user ratings, they just make suggestions based on what you've watched before.
They'll probably say it's all to do with patented algorithms and the matching system is not random, but if I watch Movie 'A', it's going to suggest Movie 'B', based on what other viewers of the first film did.....but they might all have thought that Movie 'B' was shit.

So based on the current selection on offer, I had a look at this: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-films-on-netflix-uk
...and it turns out there's only one movie on there that I haven't seen that I'm tempted to watch (Mudbound), but it hasn't appeared as a suggestion.

Last year I watched a fair bit of I Love You Philip Morris (Jim Carrey & Ewan McGregor), thinking it would be a decent comedy (it wasn't really) and most of the Netflix suggestions for the next two months were for gay themed movies. 
It did my nut in.

[PCF]Falcs

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:41:48 PM
you liked it really wooster  :tongue: :laugh: :laugh:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 07:19:38 PM
You know it big boy. :kiss:

:cool:

Splinter

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 04:39:50 PM
The Netflix Smart TV app on WebOS is nothing like the browser version on PC and is rather annoying because you can't turn off the trailers sound.
Also, the rating system has been completely dumbed own and reviews seem to have gone out of the window. I much preferred the star system so you had an idea of what the general consensus was.
It's pretty shit now to be honest.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:53:39 PM
I've decided to just give everything a thumb down rating regardless if I liked it or not, as a reflection on the shitty system.
It'll make fuck all difference to the suggestions it throws up since I need to go through 3rd party sites to see if they're worth watching anyway.

If all they get from users is constant negative feedback, they'll need to be more honest about the popularity of programmes on their platform.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:57:25 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 06:15:45 PM
Sky has a new film  on every day. I download those that might be watchable (two or three a week) but I end up deleting most. Yesterday's was Coco. Oscar winning, apparently. Not in my house. Great graphics but predictable story. It got 20 minutes of my time.

I watched Justice League again instead. Quite enjoyed it. #2 is being cast just now.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 07:12:54 PM
It's maybe a cultural thing.
Pixar aren't known for doing bad movies.

I didn't watch much of it myself.
It's rated higher than Brave on imdb and I just watched the first half hour of that again while waiting for the USA GP to start.
I'd rate Brave higher, but I could laugh at the self deprecating humour.
In contrast, Coco seems a bit humourless for me.  :sad:

Splinter

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 08:34:24 PM
Operation Finale was pretty good, but it could have been grittier.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 11:32:16 PM
I was saying to someone earlier that they should watch Fargo (the film), got home, checked Netflix and there's a new Coen Brothers movie on it.  :cool:

Six (seven?) short Western tales with an excellent cast.
A really mixed bag, no two the same, but all of them good and a bit of a breath of fresh air on the movie front.  :cool: