PC-Forums

Brexit 1.02

Wooster · 114 · 4405

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 10:18:51 PM
That's why Scots are so pro Europe......they're saints compared to some of the governments we never voted for and ended up stuck with.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #51 on: December 19, 2018, 03:09:53 PM
There are people already unable to get from their doctor their normal prescription because it's unavailable due to Brexit and are having to try 'alternatives'...
Did the Leavers see that coming? I know the Brexiteers in Westminster couldn't give a damn but the rest of us?

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #52 on: December 19, 2018, 06:14:17 PM
It's probably a result of quicker surgeries and hospitals stocking up....or panic buying, as it's sometimes known.

I've heard that some places are running out of storage as well.

btw, Corbyn did say 'stupid people'....and he's right.  :grin:

Fambly Guy

Reply #53 on: December 19, 2018, 08:33:24 PM
There's some Labour movement calling for a general strike to ensure close trade with the EU.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #54 on: December 20, 2018, 03:38:22 PM
Maybe 80 years ago...

Fambly Guy

Reply #55 on: December 20, 2018, 07:20:30 PM
I'd consider it

Fambly Guy

Reply #56 on: December 21, 2018, 11:31:39 PM
People or woman?

Calm down dear, it doesn't matter...

A.R.S.E.  H.O.L.E.S.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #57 on: December 22, 2018, 10:50:53 AM
I saw 'people' but they even had two lip readers arguing over this shite on morning TV.  :cheesy:

If he had said 'woman' it's still better that what I'd have called her.  :grin:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #58 on: January 03, 2019, 09:38:57 AM
I watched Jeremy Hunt spinning a 2nd referendum as "the ruling elite telling the people they'd made a mistake".

Funny that, I see it the totally opposite way....the people telling the ruling elite they've made a cunt of it.  :smiley:

richietog

Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 12:26:53 AM
Ministers have voted against a "No Brexit deal", which is good. At least Rees Mogg's company won't make billions out of people's suffering while he gets richer

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 02:46:55 PM
More refusals to answer questions about the Seaborne Freight contract
https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1082996064179970053/video/1

It seems that it was awarded under special regulations intended to deal with unforeseen circumstances but, since a no deal Brexit was always a possibility and the Government planning for such an event for two years, the government can't explain what those 'unforeseen circumstances' are.
(On the face of it, it appears they've used an emergency regulation to cover up backhanders to their party donors/supporters/cronies)

A someone commented: "When UK Gov announced £2 billion for hard Brexit preparations before Xmas you just knew it was a green light for connected carpet baggers to fill their boots through family and party connections"

And as for due diligence: http://fantasyequitycrowdfunding.blogspot.com/2019/01/what-hell-are-seaborne-freight-up-to.html

The tories are in such a safe position in the face of such weak labour opposition, that they hardly need to try.
It's a wonder they even bother to turn up for work these days.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:50:23 PM by Wooster »

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 04:42:35 PM
Corbyn has called for a General election if May loses the vote next week however whether that would happen is anyone's guess. If she did call an election Labour might just win it which is then more fool Corbyn as he would then have to deal with the mess that is Brexit!

richietog

Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 05:25:57 PM
I’m not sure what’s happened. They voted against a no deal brexit, ye they voted against fhe deal that is being debated

Isn’t politics a wondefully complicated thing

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 06:29:03 PM
Corbyn has called for a General election if May loses the vote next week however whether that would happen is anyone's guess. If she did call an election Labour might just win it which is then more fool Corbyn as he would then have to deal with the mess that is Brexit!

That's all he keeps asking for, but the best he could probably manage is a hung parliament.
When it comes down to it, England will have the choice of a Tory party that has a shit plan without Theresa May, or Corbyn's 'no plan to speak of' Labour.

So Theresa will be gone and, if the polls are correct, Labour barely manage, then they'll have to to bin Corbyn and have another party leader elected themselves (Starmer/Gardiner?).

We have an easier decision in Scotland, it'll be an SNP gain and IndyRef2 will be put on hold until the UK gets itself back on its feet again.
We only have 50 odd MP's though, but most of us don't feel it's a good idea to split up if the rest of the UK's average population are on the bones of their arses.

(And our votes don't really matter, do they?)  :undecided:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 08:55:39 PM
Is anyone keeping a tally on the full time jobs lost so far on the back of the Brexit referendum?
(Real figures...not government figures.)

The £ is fucked
Retail is fucked (in the face of the perfect storm of cheap online deals)
Manufacturing is fucked (when it shouldn't be)
The NHS is increasingly fucked
Social Welfare is fucked
Personal debt is through the fucking roof.
.... and so on.

It's like a welcome to the 80's and we've not even left yet.  :cheesy:
In six months we'll be back to the 70's, and in a couple of years the hard line Brexiteers will have their dreams come true...it'll be back to the 40's, with the old 'Dunkirk Spirit' when we rushed in to protect our European friends without thinking it through and had to run away again.
(Luckily with a lot more success than we managed on Malaya and Singapore.)
..ahh the bad old days eh?

This lassie laid down similar thoughts: https://www.thenational.scot/politics/17343557.brexiteers-obsessed-by-wwii-have-it-all-wrong/

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #65 on: January 11, 2019, 10:20:00 AM
very interesting this speech!

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #66 on: January 11, 2019, 03:45:20 PM
Well said.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #67 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:37 AM

Mhairi Black made this comment:
"While all this was going on, Labour were asking for a General Election while refusing to put forward a motion of no confidence. This strange conundrum with Labour really makes you question if they actually want a General Election at all, or if they’re just posturing so they can pretend they didn’t support Brexit when it turns out to be truly terrible for the people they claim to represent. Surely not … Labour would never ever ever be so sleekit ... "

It doesn't sound far off the mark given Corbyn ramped up his ambiguity about Brexit when Labour started to look too popular and (God Forbid) had a possibility of winning.

Look at these two Net Satisfaction surveys from Feb and then December last year, it's like they're trying to out outplay each other in the unpopularity race.  :rolleyes:

-edit- They're maybe also a reflection of how bad that referendum result was, in that you could only ever hope to keep around half the population happy....and that half is split 50/50, which is why they're both bumping along at 25%.  :cheesy: [I don't think those graphs show these kind of values]

http://i67.tinypic.com/8ybc3m.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2gxlg7k.jpg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:38:12 PM by Wooster »

richietog

Reply #68 on: January 12, 2019, 12:24:23 PM
Good to see that neither are scoring well, but that could mean a really odious alternative...........UKIP anyone?   :cry:

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #69 on: January 12, 2019, 11:27:38 PM
Notable how Farage has been publicly silent of late. Not that I want to hear from him. Should be put down.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #70 on: January 13, 2019, 12:02:52 AM
It's weird that the Seabourne contract was (possibly illegally) awarded under an emergency measures clause in the UK and Donald Trump is considering (possibly illegally) invoking an emergency measures clause to fund his Wall in the US.

Far different scales of finance, but the way things are going we could find ourselves funding a wall on the Mexican/US border and the USA funding some bogus ferry company in the UK .

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #71 on: January 15, 2019, 05:04:21 AM
I got a text message from eToro (online trading platform) last night saying they were reducing leverage limits (playing with the house's money) across the board in the run up to Brexit, due to expected high levels of market volatility.

Quote from: eToro
Due to expected high volatility and possible liquidity issues around the time of the upcoming Brexit vote, we are temporarily implementing new leverage limitations, which will apply before, during and after the vote. These include changes to leverage in accordance with our Terms and Conditions.
From the 14th of January, and until further notice.

They've also restricted the Take Profit limit to 200%

....This is how the likes of Farage etc. make their money.
Wreck the economy after they've shifted their GBP to something safer like USD, then buy GBP cheap when it hits rock bottom.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:57:32 PM by Wooster »

richietog

Reply #72 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:34 PM
Hot off the press
They ayes were 202 and the nays were 230. Corbyn wants to trigger a general election by asking for a no confidence vote

Shows you how cynical Labour under Corbyn is

Apparently its 432 to 202. Now that’s a massive margin, but its still cynical by Labour MPs. They just want a GE to change absolutely nothing on the deal
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:13:21 PM by richietog »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #73 on: January 15, 2019, 07:58:32 PM
I made a whole $20 betting on the £ gaining against the $

The champagne is on me.  :cheesy:

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #74 on: January 15, 2019, 10:00:20 PM
My MP abstained. She doesn't like Corbyn.