PC-Forums

RAM

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
on: November 04, 2018, 11:32:03 AM
I have Corsair Vengence ram in my PC only 8 Gig DDR 3 16000 Mz which has a whatever at 8 - 8 -3- 24 the 3 may be an 8 my eysight is crap!
Question is can i use another 8 gig in the machine however its Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24

just i can get it on fb market place for £35 quid!

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 12:41:36 PM
I think all you need to do is manually set the RAM timings to 9-9-9-24 across the board in the BIOS.

You could probably try this with your current memory first to see how it likes the slower timings.
If it won't play ball, then set them back to 8-8-8-24 (or Auto) and avoid the purchase.

p.s. You might need to consult the Mobo/RAM vendor Compatibility Chart as well since the voltage might need to be changed as well.
(A wee bit faffy if that's the case..  :lipsrsealed:)

p.p.s ....especially if they use different voltages on the board to achieve 1600MHz.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:47:24 PM by Wooster »

richietog

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 02:47:39 PM
All true what Wooster said. But do you know if the RAM is a single or two stick i.e. dual channel?

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 03:35:57 PM
Its two channel ie tow sticks of 4gig same as what i have now
i googled my ram a while back and it would cost me 200 quid to buy 8 gig new now!!!

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 06:07:08 PM
It might not be if you mix and match.
iirc they'll all run in single channel mode unless they do 2x2 mode these days.

1 module = single channel
2 matched modules = dual channel
3 matched modules = triple channel

2 matched modules + 2 matched modules = ?
(Still....iirc more is better than faster, but only if you use apps able to make use of it.)

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:56:31 AM
update been looking at this again from new i cant see to find any which has 8-8-8-24 only 9-9-9-24
can i use this ram in my system or not? without any complicated alterations Will there be a conflict ie it buggers up the pc or not.
I just think adding an extra 8 gig would seriously benefit the games i am playing.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 06:06:59 PM
I can't add any advice I haven't already mate.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 10:23:55 PM
I can't add any advice I haven't already mate.
It's unlikely to seriously benefit gaming, but you might notice a difference.

Fambly Guy

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 12:51:09 AM
Bit of a necro but how did you get on with that?

Personally I wouldn't mix differently rated time RAM.
Tightening your timings could potentially affect your gaming. If you're into gaining FPS that is and if you want fastest possible addressing in the milliseconds, which does have a place in the fastest of FPS games.

It's all about the balance.  The RAM mhz is about the potential transfer, how fast can it  potentially  transfer and operate. That's all and good but if your timings are slack that just means the fast RAM is sitting there waiting on the RAM to be accessed, in other words it wants to transfer fast but can't as the timings are slack, so that introduces memory latency.
Get those timings right and you hit the transfer potential and then you're getting the most out of your RAM.
Mixing RAM is going to fuck that up. you could manually set all modules to the same timings but you're not guaranteed that they will run at those timings, where as a matched pair will and make life a whole lot easier.

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 12:08:00 PM
cant find any ram anywhere with the same Ram timings as mine :(