PC-Forums

Modern 'celebrations'

Wooster

• Administrator
on: November 11, 2018, 04:57:21 PM
Watching QI last night, I didn't realise that carnival version of Day of the Dead in Mexico is only two years old.

On the subject, I lament 'guising' at hallowee'n giving way to corporate Trick or Treat.
I ranted about that before, so I'll skip that and move onto other recent developments.    :wink:

Black Friday...already falling out of brief favour once everyone realised it was a way to clear old stock off the shelves.

Alibaba in China came up with 'Singles Day' a few years ago and I was asked (via a mailshot from an online investment platform) how I planned to 'celebrate' it.*

Now, being single means that you can pretty much do anything you fucking like, any time you like, so why would I be compelled to celebrate what's essentially 'Normal Day'?
It's a fake Chinese thing though and given there are about 1 million blokes for every woman in the country, I'd have thought they should maybe celebrate it by trying to get a partner...or a pocket fanny?
A very new one I just spotted though was in an advert for Not on the High Street....where they suggest you 'lovingly' making up a wee box of presents..

..for Christmas fucking Eve!!   :rolleyes:

I think that retail are possibly being hoist on their own petard now, with a combination of online competition and their own, ramming shit down your throat, hard sell tactics.

In saying that, I might do my shopping the old way again this year, since most of the stuff on Amazon is junk.  :wink:

I mentioned this Singles Day this to Keasy and he summed it up perfectly: "Does that mean you can have two Pot Noodles and a wank?"
As a long suffering family man he probably misses the simple pleasures in life more than I do.

(I can have as many pot noodles and wanks as I like..)  :cool:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:05:06 PM by Wooster »

richietog

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 06:46:09 PM
I thought the day of the dead celebration was a lot older, because it was a scene in a James Bond movie, Spectre I think it was called

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:32:38 PM
It's an old festival, but what you see on TV now (all the James Bond masks etc.) is on the back of the Spectre movie....apparently  :question:

On a minor tangent (I'm still talking about marketing), anyone seen the Jacamo adverts on SKY with the four big lads on couches?
...maybe it's only me that gets the fucking emasculation heebies here, but one of them is talking about 'snuggling' down in cold weather 'on the couch with a big jumper on, and a hot mug of cocoa'
...and an extra fluffy tampon you giant fucking blouse.

Also on my emasculation/fanny list are:
Men shown using two hands to drink anything from anything smaller than a bucket (i.e. cupping a fucking mug with two hands (i.e. giant cocoa boy above) to drink soup/coffee/tea).
Men 'spritzing' their wrists with any sort of fragrance and rubbing them together (Lynx advert) like a woman would do just before applying a dab of the same below her ears.

...fair to say these things annoy me a tad.  :azn:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:38:24 PM by Wooster »

Splinter

• The Last British President
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:39 PM
There's a day for every f**king thing here.
Bankers day - banks don't open
Friends day - you have to say feliz dia de amigo to everyone
Day of the secretary- you don't get to shag your sec unfortunately
Day of the employee - practically everything is closed
Bikers' day - get on your bike
Think I'm kidding?  Here's a list.
http://www.ideasexpress.com.ar/fechas.htm

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 05:39:12 AM
Alibaba sets new Singles Day record with more than $30.8 billion in sales in 24 hours.

Well that's me telt.  :cheesy:

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:21:15 AM
regarding what you said about the adverts i dont really watch tv so dont see many but noticed in the pub on saturday whilst watching a band nearly every advert was a christmas supermarket advert banging on how christmas will only be good if you buy from them! Funny i didnt see the Iceland xmas ad on there!!! The only advert worth watching (you tube it as its apparently banned from tv as its to close to the truth!)

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:31:59 AM
There is a petition to get it reinstated on TV, but TV is too scared of protests.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:43:21 AM
I saw someone make a decent argument that all adverts are essentially political, in that they're made to sway opinions.

I thought the banned ad might have been the Kevin the Carrot one, due to complaints by Coca-Cola.  :grin:

I was visiting my mum when it came on and she said she hated the ad (thinking it was the Coca-Cola one) then changed her mind.