PC-Forums

When was the last time

Wooster

• Administrator
on: May 23, 2019, 06:49:48 PM
You had a virus?
I think I've had one in the last 8 years and it was a deliberate gamble, relatively easily removed.
... We may have viruses we don't even know are there (state sponsored)....such are the times.  :undecided:

I also had a partial BSOD the other week on Win10, transferring too many files to a USB drive and it shat out, but recovered (without the transfers).

What other shit did we use to put up with....and made PC ownership interesting:azn:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:15:14 PM by Wooster »

richietog

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:09:53 PM
I think the last time I think I had a virus was when I was trying to update Windows 10 to 1809 on my desktop. It just wouldn’t let me update

My virus vendor said recently there was a virus that exploited the asus easy update application

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:33:19 PM
The reason it came to mind was that I was at a customer site today and they're using the old bundled McAfee freeware 'bag o crap' with added pesterware.
It was nothing particularly bad, but annoying.

I did a job for a client a few years ago, who handled the maintenance and security for some dental franchises...and the quality of service was frankly shocking.
They actually used AVG freeware on their machines (private medical records, payment detail etc.) at a time when it was well known to be one of the most ineffective AV apps on the market.

They asked me if I could possibly take the contract on, and I regret that I turned it down.
....ah well.

richietog

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 10:40:58 AM
One of those things, I think everyone has turned down a few sitters in their lives

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 02:00:11 PM
I just use malwarebytes and ccleaner at home have done for years, however at work we have Norton antivirus and i frigging hate it!!!! slows the pc down the server the whole lot!
However one pc did get a virus the other day but i think it was from a penstick they had from home!

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 03:46:08 PM
The ironic thing is the Symantec AV actually works well without too much of an impact on your system.

richietog

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:11:22 AM
My virus scanner reports that Filezilla has a virus in the installer, yet it hasn't reported the fact it was already installed ion my laptop. More likely adware. I hadn't installed it on my desktop since the downing of my website

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:43 PM
It'll be a PUP, like Chrome or something.