PC-Forums

Problems in games with 100% CPU usage and only 10-20% GPU usage

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
I recently got a new gfx card (1660GTX 6gig) as i had noticed my 970gtx was starting to no longer cut it in the newer games in particular bf5 and division 2, however installing the card i see no difference whatsoever with the fps in games (generally 30-40FPS no matter what gfx setting i put them at)

I did a bit of digging on my pc and noticed that my cpu was at 100% but the gpu was only at 13-20%
It feels like the games are trying to utilise the cpu for gfx rather than the card has anyone any ideas?

It is an old cpu i admit (I7 2600K sandybridge(i think)) but it has variable oc from the bios and is generally around the 3.5 gig mark, its also watercooled and i have enabled the 4 core option in msconfig

I am not sure however if the hyperthreading is enabled as i have no clue how to find out!

any help would be much appreciated

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
yeah i have updated past that version of the drivers and done clean install of them since to

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
however tht bug was that the drivers were using 100% of the CPU and not the games

Glamdring

• Administrator
To be honest I think  you're pushing it now with Sandybridge.

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator

Wooster

• Administrator
It might be an inherent and persistent bug they have.
Here's a thread from last year with some suggestions: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/71ssbb/possible_100_cpu_usage_fixes_for_r6_intel_nvidia/

You're not using a 144MHz monitor are you?

Here' s another: https://appuals.com/fix-nvidia-container-high-cpu-usage/ with more suggestions (using old drivers might be a good option).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:59:19 AM by Wooster »

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
no bog standard 1080

i did some fiddling i the nvidia control panel last night and also turned most in game options up to maximum in the division 2 and now getting 50fps and quite stable

will have a look at those threads wooster thanks

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Can i put a 4770 into the same CPU socket as a 2600K?

Wooster

• Administrator
I think you can only go to the 2700K/3770K on the LGA1155 board.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%201155%20(LGA1155).html
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:01:39 PM by Wooster »

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
damn!!!!

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
ok after an old 3770 if any of you have one otherwise anything above but with a mobo and ram to :)

Wooster

• Administrator
Still on Sandybridge myself.  :azn:

Glamdring

• Administrator
That will do perfectly well, but no longer for gaming. I kept my 2600k for years but now I'm two years into an Ivy Bridge.

Wooster

• Administrator
It's a bit weird in that newer CPU's performances can be similar to the old at higher resolutions.
Take this example where a newer I7-9700K has a very similar (low) framerate at 1440p and above compared to the old 2600K.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14043/upgrading-from-an-intel-core-i7-2600k-testing-sandy-bridge-in-2019/18

Glamdring

• Administrator
I still reckon the 7700k is the sweetspot for most home gamers/users. I see no need to upgrade to the latest Intel, but my 2600k was stuttering a bit, so I changed. I'm still running a 3 year old GTX970 but maybe its days are numbered if I buy a 144res monitor.

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
what mobo goes with a 7700K?
and would the new amd chips outperform it and be cheaper to?

Glamdring

• Administrator
You would need a new motherboard.
I've no idea about AMD. My last AMD was an Athlon 3600 a century ago.

Wooster

• Administrator
Keasy has moved to AMD Ryzen and he's a hardcore gamer who's always looking for bangs per buck.

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
If i changed my mobo and cpu would i need to reinstall windows or would it register it no problem?
Its fine with ram and gpu's was just wondering about the mobo really

Glamdring

• Administrator
Your key should work properly though, worst case, you'd need to phone them up to get it approved.

Wooster

• Administrator
I've bought a few Win 10 Pro keys off Amazon for as little as a fiver.
Apparently it's legit and I've never had a problem with them, so if you have an issue there's always the option to just relicence it.

(I bought one last week in fact from a seller called Agees for £5.99 since I needed a fresh drive for this job I'm doing.)

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
so you both are suggesting i would need to reinstall windows if i replace my mobo?

Glamdring

• Administrator
No, just the mobo drivers.

Wooster

• Administrator
Not really.
You could stick the existing drive in the new build and see how it goes and, if there's a licence issue, just buy a new one off Amazon.  :azn:

Bear in mind though, you'll have chipset drivers etc. you'll need to remove from the old install at some point (windows should install basic drivers when it detects the new hardware).

Given that, you might actually prefer a new install, for a fresh start without any legacy junk to contend with.  :cool:

(got a timeout earlier and couldn't post)