PC-Forums

Any good anti virus software?

richietog

on: August 05, 2019, 06:15:45 PM
My current anti virus Kapersky is due to run out, but think they are a tad expensive

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:19:56 PM
windows 10 is all i use along with malwarebytes and ccleaner

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 07:43:21 PM
Been using Eset NOD32 for years

richietog

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 07:44:49 PM
With my experience with Windows Defender, I think I will pass on that.

I used that for a while, only for another software to pick up over 1000 threats, I think I can't trust Windows at all

richietog

Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 12:56:14 PM
oof, I went for a 5 devices 2 year plan with Kapersky again......

I could have gone with a cheaper option if I had clicked on a link.........oh well, two more years with them I guess...never mind

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 01:35:56 AM
Met an old friend today.
AVG Anti Virus

Hadn't seen it in a while, but an old boy I know managed to hit something that installed the piece of shit on his HP Pavillion laptop, so sorted that (it's a bit temp, I think it has more issues, but he's looking at some replacements).... and two hours later, one of my sisters delivered another fucked HP Pavillion that turned out to have a trashed hard drive. (It was thumping about, even in a caddy and was irrecoverable)

I remember when AVG was good, for about 8 months, about 15 years ago.  :cheesy:

Anyway, it's still the same...bloated as fuck and requires payment to get rid of shit it makes up.
(Uninstalled it in safe mode and Eset didn't find any problems)

Splinter

• The Last British President
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 05:05:47 PM
I only use Defender for the reasons you just stated about the above, Wooster. Bloat and nagging in most of the others.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 06:56:21 PM
The latest Defender is much improved over the earlier versions and okay, I think, if people use common sense and aren't into browsing odd sites, etc. I'm currently using Avast on my PC.

richietog

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 10:07:39 PM
The latest Defender is much improved over the earlier versions and okay, I think, if people use common sense and aren't into browsing odd sites, etc. I'm currently using Avast on my PC.

True, but I can't have thousands of viruses and trojans etc...etc running on my computer, because Defender didn't pick it up. Last known virus that even Kaspersky didn't pick up that caused Windows 10  not to upgrade, suggests to me that I can't really take the risk of using Defender, the probability of me unknowingly picking up a ransomware, is mind boggling. Yeah, I can re-install Windows, but I've got software that require de/activation. I rather have one virus than thousands. Though I do hope Kappy software has improved to pick up the one that caused my system not to upgrade

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:21 PM
Something I found out today is that ProceXP has a virus checker thing built in (VirusTotal)
Not explored it much, but it looks interesting.