PC-Forums

Website hosting

Andrew

on: September 01, 2019, 12:15:40 PM
Hi all

Hope you are all ok.

I make a website voluntarily for a group and just recently I have found out I am going to have to start paying web hosting fees for it so I can access it as I have managed to get it free for the past 15 years with our own domain name!  I am currently with Freeola.  The group can't afford to pay monthly so am looking at free options.

Can you recommend a free hosting website?  I have seen weebly has a free account but I don't know which website you would recommend?  With weebly for the free account you have to have the word weebly in the website address unfortunately.

Thank you if you can help.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 03:41:06 PM
Forumotion?

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 05:05:11 PM
Or set up a Facebook page for your group. It may have ads but it's free. Mind, I do find FB to be a pain to use and, especially, navigate.

Andrew

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 05:26:58 PM
Thank you I will have a look at forumotion with the people I volunteer with.  I don't think they were keen on Facebook as they didn't want to be overwhelmed with contacts.

Thank you.

richietog

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:43:33 AM
Or set up a Facebook page for your group. It may have ads but it's free. Mind, I do find FB to be a pain to use and, especially, navigate.

Correct, just set up a facebook page or if you want this to be amongst yourselves a group with settings that allow invites only

Andrew

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:39:57 AM
Sorry I just realised that when I say group what I meant is I didn't want a forum.  The people I volunteer for run a mental health library and I make the website, I have made the website since 2005 but need to move it to a free hosting service as we can no longer get it free with Freeola.

I have looked at Weebly but didn't know if you could recommend any others?

Sorry for not being so clear in my first post.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 12:37:35 PM
Tsohost are doing a deal at the moment of £1.20 per month for their basic web hosting package and it's not unusual to find those sort of packages.

Why don't you look for a grant to pay for your hosting?
Since you're looking for less than £100 per year you should be a certainty for a small grant from one of the thousands of charitable funds out there.

Andrew

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 05:13:28 PM
I like the look of TSOhost as I can host my website and the website for the mental health library on it for £3.50 a month total and it includes personal email address which at the moment with my custom email address I cannot send emails from it unless I pay £2 per month with Freeola.  So as I am paying for my own website, the mental health library hosting cost will be covered by me and the people I volunteer for will pay the domain cost.

Have I understood this properly?  I am looking at the Startup plan hosting on TSOhost.

my website is .com and the library's website is .org on freeola.

So to move domains from Freeola I would have to pay transfer fee for each domain, renewal fee for each domain and hosting £3.50 per month for both websites combined?

Is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions I am new to this.

Thank you if you can advise.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:10:30 PM
I'm not sure, but migration is normally built in.

You definitely need to look at charitable grants though, if your site description is accurate.
When I was doing my outdoor work with kids back in the 90's I got about £700 through different grants to pay for gear, like Ski Boots and GoreTex clothes.
Hosting is so cheap, you'd be mad not to apply for some grants to pay for it.

Andrew

Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 07:42:41 PM
OK, will have a think about what we are going to do and phone tsohost to confirm some of the details.

Thank you for all your help so far.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:35:44 PM
Google are going to start flagging up all non secure websites as well, so you'd need to add the cost of an SSL Certificate on top of the hosting every year.

richietog

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 09:54:32 PM
Its just an excuse for them to sell SSL, warts and all