PC-Forums

Random Obs

Wooster

• Administrator
on: October 03, 2018, 08:27:06 PM
I see trailers for The Good Doctor on SKY every now and then.
I assume he's meant to be an autistic savant, but he sounds like the Thermian C/O from Galaxy Quest.  :laugh:

"You will be my friend! Glark! Glark! Glark! Glark! [denoting humour]"

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:33:07 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:58:03 AM
I watched the first series. It's quite good. They took the subject seriously within the entertainment remit. Sometimes there is an element of Dougie Howser MD.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:16:11 PM
Why are Syfy series so cheaply made? Some of their actors are okay but, wow, their CGI, settings and limited numbers of extras spoil what might have been a watchable programme.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:15 PM
I've noticed that myself.
Maybe we underestimate the cost of good CGI.  :wink:

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 12:12:39 AM
Vera! I spotted that clue a full hour ago. Sharpen up, woman!

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:13:05 AM
I used to watch QT but have gradually went off it over the last couple of decades as it sort of became more of the same.
Maybe that's why Dimbleby is retiring, he's sick of it as well.  :wink:

People keep track of these shows though (like political train spotters  :smiley:) and Phil Burton-Carledge is one of them (as an aside to his usual job of lecturer in sociology at Derby Uni), and he's about to publish a paper on the show which included this wee nugget:

Quote;
His [..Phil's] particular bugbear is the “almost total erasure of trade unionists”, while business representation maintains its presence. From 2010 until the end of the 17-18 season, trade unionists have appeared nine times in total; business, in 32 slots; and celebrities (novelists, actors, the arts) have had 55 slots. From 1979 until 1990, it was 51 slots, 65 slots, and 10 slots respectively.

As Phil points out, trade unions are the largest voluntary organisation in civil society, with a membership of six million – “but leading trade unionists combined have been on less than Nigel Farage” in the last decade.

I met David Dimbleby a year or two ago in Glasgow Airport, he's a very small fellow.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 11:39:13 AM
I gave up on it because of the audience. It's suppose to be balanced but I always found them biased in the extreme. And they normally have on the panel someone you couldn't pay me to listen to, so why suffer? I find something else to do.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:50 PM
The audience is cherry picked as well apparently.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 05:37:38 PM
Over the last  couple of weeks I've watched a handful of Last of the Summer Wine. It began with the last few episodes of the whole series before it ended, and began again a generation ago with S1/Ep1. What a difference. The newer programmes were dreamily gentle with nothing much said and mostly three ancient guys wandering about. The start, however, was much sharper. What Cleggy said about his ex-wife would never have been allowed these days! Great fun.
I used to love it back then, but of course everything runs its course, like The Simpsons, which I haven't watched regularly for years.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 04:27:42 PM
I watched the last episode of S6 of Elementary. Different. For a while most thought the series would finish with this but no, S7 will be aired in the UK next Spring. The two of them were photographed filming a scene in Trafalgar Square.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 08:59:05 PM
Tonight's Dr Who was very good, if a bit tautological. Some good writing. I think we'll see the villain again.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 02:22:25 PM
Arrow, S7 Ep1 was one of the best I've watched in ages. I didn't really think much of the whole of S6. Confusing, depressing and fairly pointless.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 04:27:15 PM
Is he still using the elastic band bowstring?

Ever tried drawing the string on a modern hunting bow? It's extremely heavy....none of that Cupid 'thumb & finger' shit.  :grin:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 09:23:10 PM
Channel 5: How to get a good night's sleep

I've done some swing shift jobs over the last few days.
Monday: 13:00 - 18:00
Tuesday: 08:00 - 10:00 then 17:00 - 23:00
Wednesday (today): 04:00 - 10:00

Here's the weird thing:
I set my 03:45 alarm (for this morning) yesterday afternoon and woke up 3 minutes before the alarm went off, after about 4hrs sleep.

This waking up a few minutes before the alarm clock goes happens quite a lot.
Sometimes I don't even know what day of the week it is or the date.

Maybe I'm semi conscious....not fully sleeping. :lipsrsealed:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:29:31 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:34:56 PM
Happens to me a lot too, though I normally only have to set my alarm twice a week.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 09:58:13 PM
I very rarely have to set mine either, I avoid these early jobs (and nightshifts as a rule) now that I work for myself, but I've very rarely slept in for work since I started at 16  (been unconscious a few times..... bit different.) :angel:

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 05:47:06 PM
The McLaren Speedtail. I weep that I'll never get to even see one. I weep further that I'll never get to sit in one, and as for the utterly impossible chance of have a little drive, that saddens me enormously. Still, the fact it exists in reality is a joy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:48:55 PM by Glamdring »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 08:19:15 PM
I don't like that at all, it gives me the heebies.  :shocked:

They should call it the McLaren Prolapse.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 11:09:24 AM
Looks like Apu is due to be axed from The Simpsons because he's a 'hurtful' stereotype.

Looks like an opportunity for Groundskeeper Willy to take over the Kwik-E-Mart.  :laugh: