PC-Forums

Random Obs

Splinter

• The Last British President
Reply #50 on: July 20, 2019, 02:20:06 PM
I signed up for a trial IPTV service...you know the ones, every channel everywhere.

Too much shit (and a lot of it is shit) and an EPG that takes half an hour to browse.
(Quality is improving as the bandwidth increases though, only a few years ago it was grainy garbage.)

Still, for about £50 a year it certainly beats some of the more traditional suppliers (who are actually paying for the stuff the IPTV vendors resell), so you can see the attraction.
...overpaying maybe.

I have no interest in the EPL, but I recall some daft cunts paid over £5Bn for the rights in 2015, then charged their customers for the privilege, even if they didn't get the package that showed the games.
So if IPTV sees football players wages approaching normality, then I'd say I'm all for it.  :cheesy:
Which IPTV did you try, Wooster? (PM me if you wish)
I'm considering Depot Direct.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #51 on: July 20, 2019, 02:43:35 PM
Subscribetv, it seemed ok but hardly used it.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #52 on: November 09, 2019, 06:46:17 PM
Who's that antibiotic advert on the TV aimed at? AFIK you can only get them off a doctor..the doctor who's advice it tells you to follow.

Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #53 on: November 09, 2019, 10:59:45 PM
Not seen it. Not ever seen a UK ad for antibiotics, only OTC stuff. The Americans advertise them like fury, along with, at the end, a quickly-read long list of side-effects including death.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #54 on: November 10, 2019, 09:30:59 AM
https://www.nhs.uk/video/pages/antibiotics-dont-work-for-everything.aspx

Maybe they should target the farming industry instead.
The poultry industry is particularly bad. (That why we have so much cheap, bland, chicken on the shelves.)

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #55 on: November 10, 2019, 12:01:23 PM
I didn't think they did that in the EU. I know it's an American habit and one of the reasons we should never buy US hens. Buy better chickens that come from farms where only the actually sick are treated. Free range, or even barn raised hens are reasonably treated for the most part.

Hmm:
The European Parliament has approved new legislation to come into force in 2022, banning the prophylactic use of antibiotics in farming. Preventative antibiotics can be routinely given to farm animals – particularly to pigs and poultry to prevent infection in intensive housing systems.26 Oct 2018

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #56 on: November 10, 2019, 05:30:18 PM
Poultry farms in the UK get through about 280 tonnes of antibiotics every year. (Chickens grow at a phenomenal rate on the stuff.)