PC-Forums

Food and drink (nibbles and tipples)

richietog

on: October 06, 2018, 10:42:48 PM
While I was out in Spain, went to a tapas bar and ordered  "Pescado del dia", for those who don't know Spanish, Pescado is fish, dia is day, and del is of the, so fish of the day basically.

Anyway, mush ordered on a bad day, it was horrible and bony. Don't like fish that is too bony. Had Sangria, love that drink, with it

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:07:34 PM
I was in a rush a few days ago and bought an ASDA spaghetti & meatballs ready meal that I had to use today

It's almost as tasty as dog food....and I've tried dog food.
(It's quite flavourless......just boiled to death "meat" chunks in jelly.)

Simple Toast & Beans would have been better...even a fried egg sandwich.  :sad:

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:19:34 PM
Sounds yuck wooster!!!

I am eating samosas for my lunch this week got given them after my friends engagement do on saturday night his dad brought 200 of them up for the do and they had quite a few left got to say they bloody lush!!!

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:45:07 PM
It was disgusting mate.

My old man used to make good samosas.
In saying that, he could make some other good stuff when he turned his mind to it (Cornish Pasties), on the other hand some stuff that only he liked (boiled pigs trotters).  :sad:

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:55:13 AM
Ham shank makes the best broth. Meat's a bit salty, but my mum's broth was amazing.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:38 AM
Everybody's mums 'hame made' broth is the best, 'cos we grew up with it.  :azn:

p.s. it has to be plain bread with it as well, pan bread is a very poor substitute.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 07:40:42 PM
I do this a few times a year.

I'll make something very simple, and because I haven't had it in ages, I keep picking away at it to the exclusion of everything else before it hits the plate.

i.e.
I don't mind sprouts if they're done right (boiled for a short time so they still have a bit of bite in them, big dollop of butter (real salted butter), bit of salt & pepper in the pot when drained and stir them about.
I do that though and, because I haven't had them in a year, I'll munch my way through a pot of them.

Just done the same basic method with some mashed tatties and cyboes, so the chicken breasts  I cooked to go with it, will have to go into the fridge.
...and they're just not the same after that. (too dry)  :embarrassed:
It must be the butter+salt+pepper combination  (although, I did add a splash of milk to the mashed tatties....semi skimmed though.  :embarrassed:).

p.s. Colcannon is another.

I might make that tomorrow, to go with the chicken I made today and might end up picking at on Sunday.   :grin:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:49:17 PM by Wooster »

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 11:05:33 AM
Colcannon is lush!

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 03:17:53 PM
It is.plenty of butter.

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 03:59:07 PM
Had a lovely tea last night just two soft boiled eggs mashed up with some tiger bread with lots of butter on was simply delicious!!!

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 10:32:58 AM
Sometimes the simple things are exactly right.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 05:44:13 PM
Aye, ye canny whack an egg or three.  :cool:

richietog

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:27:21 PM
I kind of got a penchant for cinnamon buns at the moment, maybe it was because I went on the bread making course, which kind of lead to making hamburger buns i.e. if you left out the cinnamon and a few other recipes, you more or less got bread buns

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 09:44:44 PM
It's been over twenty years since my health allowed me to visit Dumfries, so I've been searching down here, and finally I've found the ingredients for my favourite heart-attack food.

Haggis, soda scones, potato scones and eggs (yes, we already had the eggs!). The amount of oil it all soaked up meant I didn't expect to live to the end of it, but I did.
The haggis was quite good but not as good as the award-winning butchers I visited in Dumfries, or another in Castle Douglas, but not bad. Could have been spicier. The scones were good.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 10:57:30 PM
That looks like a damn tasty breakfast.

Fried eggs (runny yolks) and fried tattie scones were made for each other.  :cool:
(The two are also excellent on a roll.)

Btw...you can order catering rolls of haggis on Amazon...they also do Stornoway black pudding.  :smiley:

p.s. I bet if you phoned the butchers they'd post you haggis. (Many of them do vacuum packing on request and my brother usually leaves for Southampton with a boot full of vacuum packed square sausage every time he comes home.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:01:04 PM by Wooster »

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 10:08:49 AM
Not one for haggis am afraid and i would replace the fried eggs with poached eggs then you have one of my fave breakfasts poached eggs on potato scones absolutley delicious!, not easy to get potato scones even up here in the north of england however tescos and sainsburies do sell them but they sell out quick!

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 10:48:17 AM
True, I think. I got the second to the last pack.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 02:23:17 PM
Aye, poached would be good.  :cool:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 07:47:26 PM
The local ASDA(WalMart) is going downhill.
I noticed a few months ago that most of the cheese on offer was own brand, but it's creeping across every range now and it's pretty poor standard.