PC-Forums

Food and drink (nibbles and tipples)

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 03:20:48 PM
A good steak slice is better than a McDonald's burger (or any burger I've tried)...kid you not.  :wink:

richietog

Reply #51 on: May 16, 2019, 10:30:24 AM
Anything is better than fast food burgers

Its processed gunk you get from Maccies and the others

Though BK is far better and pricier than the aforementioned chain of restaurant

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 11:49:38 AM
McD's burgers are 100% beef.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 09:09:39 PM
Tayto Crisps are the business.  :cool:

Crisps are not something I'm normally into.
Norn Irish (and own Golden Wonder apparently), so they don't have much distribution here, but damn they're tasty.  :cool:

...while looking them up I didn't know that Walkers (wafer thin dustcrap) are owned by Pepsi.  :azn:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:11:20 PM by Wooster »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #54 on: June 05, 2019, 07:20:59 PM
Was out at Costco in Glasgow this afternoon and they were selling uncooked chickens for £1.

I'd be raging if I was one of the chickens

richietog

Reply #55 on: June 10, 2019, 02:35:55 PM
The wifi at work is just terrible today

Also, what happened to summer?

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #56 on: June 10, 2019, 03:12:53 PM
Lovely up north but think this is the wrong thread Ritchie  :cheesy:
we get the rain tomorrow mind it started raining Friday night and didnt stop till Saturday night over the weekend it was a constant downpour!
The ground needed it though as we have had such a dry winter this year

richietog

Reply #57 on: June 10, 2019, 05:24:09 PM
Oh fuck. Posted here. My bad

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #58 on: July 07, 2019, 04:25:45 PM
Was thinking in tangents about beer (among other drinks) and their salutations, usually Cheers here, but specifically Skol (remember that beer?).
And it does literally mean Skull*...as in drinking out of your enemies skull...it's a Viking thing.

*when I was younger we used to have shouts to get ourselves identified in a crowd or in a fight/fracas...whatever.
They were Young Skull for anyone under 15 and Mad Skull for the adults (if you were unsure you'd just shout 'Skull') 

Weird thing is it sticks in the consciousness.

Many years ago we drove to Edinburgh to meet a mate's cousin who grew up here, but it was in a scheme of tower blocks and he didn't know (or couldn't find) the exact address.
It was a summer day though and everyone had their windows open, so he shouted 'Mad Skull' at the top of his voice and a minute later the mad cunt appeared at his window, 20 floors up and two blocks away.  :cheesy:
(It's a razor gang legacy though, which is behind us now..)

While I'm on the subject, I hate that clinking glasses together thing...it's a faff  in groups and should only be displayed between two people, maybe four at most if they're within arms reach.
i.e. Weddings
Raise a Glass means Raise a Glass, not awkwardly reach around and over the table to clink glasses with everyone.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:28:14 PM by Wooster »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #59 on: July 16, 2019, 10:25:54 PM
I see there was an article in New Scientist that says most nutritional advice is shit.

There's some obvious stuff that's correct (obesity causes problems, watching your sugar intake if you're diabetic, avoiding salt if you have high blood pressure) but most of it is garbage, such as high fibre diets, low carb diets, high carb diets, low fat diets, high fat diets etc. etc.

I don't suppose it's news at all, given everything we eat either gives us cancer or helps prevent cancer, depending on the phase of the fucking moon.  :cheesy:

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #60 on: July 17, 2019, 10:53:58 AM
Soon we'll all be back on the cigs. When I was at uni I had one Cafe Creme baby cigar per day. Not inhaling.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #61 on: July 17, 2019, 10:56:40 AM
I received a notification today that someone, Phred Phlintstoner, has subscribed to my YouTube channel. This surprised me mildly because a, I seem to have 86 subscribers, and b, I don't have a YouTube channel. Weird.

Splinter

• The Last British President
Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:37 PM
Soon we'll all be back on the cigs. When I was at uni I had one Cafe Creme baby cigar per day. Not inhaling.
That's what Clinton said  :cool:
And by the way, I seem to be addicted to Doritos at the moment.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #63 on: July 17, 2019, 04:24:01 PM
Flavoured cardboard triangles?  :embarrassed:

The Northern Irish Tayto crisps are phenomenal.
I'm not a massive fan of crisps, but they're damn tasty.

No idea if they're different from the ones produced in the ROI, but they're owned by Intersnack now...so maybe different.
It's the NI ones you want.  :cool:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #64 on: July 18, 2019, 08:00:41 PM
You'll be happy to know that Asda are selling Ayrshire New Potatoes south of the border, Glam.

Boiled 'as is' with some salt and melted butter....... :tongue: :cool:
They're in a Scotty Brand bag

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #65 on: July 18, 2019, 10:08:13 PM
They are indeed good. Epicures were the ones I remember with great affection from my youth.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #66 on: July 18, 2019, 10:38:25 PM
It's the seaweed they use as fertiliser that makes the difference apparently.

richietog

Reply #67 on: July 25, 2019, 07:37:42 PM
Will try make a cocktail out of the Pimms drink I got. The lemonade is ready, just need a sprig of mint and a few other fruits

richietog

Reply #68 on: July 28, 2019, 12:57:33 AM
I've been having coconut milk for replacement for dairy milk, and I still haven't gotten used to the taste. So, might try an alternative to that kind of milk.

No, it's not going to be soy milk. Not going to turn myself into a soy boy

The reason for the change is that adult enzymes in the stomach can't digest or process cow's milk when we get a lot more older. It's only lil ones that can. Alternative milk do come with fortified calcium, so it won't make your bones weaker

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #69 on: July 28, 2019, 05:23:56 AM
Lactose intolerance is linked to race.
I believe it's low(ish) among Europeans, but very high for Asians and Africans.
(I think that's why the Chinese don't do cheese.)  :azn:

There's quite a few 'milks' made from nuts, rice and even oats.
The almond one is sort of OK.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:26:07 AM by Wooster »

richietog

Reply #70 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:53 AM
Nothing to do with lactose intolerance

Just when we come out from childhood, we no longer need the dairy milk just still need the calcium to keep bones strong

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #71 on: July 28, 2019, 11:56:50 AM
Yes it is.

The enzyme you are talking about is Lactase and it's used to break down Lactose.
All children have it to digest their mothers milk, but disappears for many during adulthood.
This is not the case for many Euopeans however, where the Lactase is retained into adulthood, which is thought have come about due to our historic consumption of milk and cheese. (If I Recall Correctly)

p.s. You can also buy Lactose free milk as an alternative. Never tried it, so don't know if it tastes weird.  :azn:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 12:01:54 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #72 on: July 28, 2019, 11:01:06 PM
Wooster is correct. The lactose tolerance gene activated about 10,000 years ago as we began to keep cattle in earnest, and it was the Europeans that did it, hence the very high levels of intolerance in Asia and the Far East. Goats and sheep don't have lactose so they're safe for everyone. But expensive.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #74 on: July 29, 2019, 01:30:15 PM
He posted in the wrong thread, edited in and then posted in the correc t thread.