PC-Forums

Dispatches: Lawless England?

Wooster

• Administrator
on: October 08, 2018, 09:38:37 PM
4 out of 5 car thefts in West Yorkshire are ignored completely by the police?

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/lawless-britain-where-are-the-police-channel-4-dispatches

These figures are pretty shocking across the board.  :huh:

Investigating cybercrime (which is normally used as an excuse by government) involves people sitting at desks, so the equipment costs are cheap.
No cars, no vans, radio's, cells, patrols...etc and so on.
It's also investigating crimes that the banks and anyone involved in financial transactions should be preventing themselves (...Tesco).

The real title of the programme is Lawless Britain, but they only reported on crime figures and practices employed by forces in England, so it's not, is it?
(Unless they have a follow up programme scheduled.)

-edit- I think they have a habit of doing this. I'm sure I've made a complaint about it before.  (Which might account for me rarely watching it)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:48:52 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:19:20 PM
They daren't pick on Scotland, Wales or NI for fear of being torn to shreds on social media.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:47:04 PM
That shouldn't be a concern if the report is honest.
 Only an idiot would argue with hard facts.

Ch4 News earlier reported on the high rate of  drug deaths in Scotland, highest in Europe..probably 1000 before the year is out, which is a fact with a reasonable extrapolation.
It's also a fact that a lot of these dependency issues started in the 80's, so we have a lot of ageing junkies and alcoholics dropping dead as they get into their 50's (I've lost dozens of friends to addiction in the last 30 odd years), so no-one is likely to argue with that.

Point is, they've taken a few regions of England and used the policing policies there to try and say that it's normal for 'Britain', when there wasn't a shred of evidence presented to say that's the case.
...they didn't even make the case that these policies are widespread across England, let alone Britain.
(NI isn't part of Britain, but that's semantics)  :azn:

p.s. Daren't?
You probably don't know the half of what goes unreported mate.

It's not 'daren't', it's ignored.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:51:31 PM by Wooster »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 11:20:05 PM
i.e.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/16968408.almost-half-of-english-tory-voters-think-scots-should-not-sit-in-uk-cabinet/
(I had to check the link to the full article would work without hitting a paywall. It was in the Times, but that's paywalled to the hilt. (Didn't see it anywhere else.))

Not complaining or surprised.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:23:01 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 03:49:45 PM
According to the paper, 79% of English Tories would support Scottish independence if it meant leaving the EU, while 75% would support the collapse of the Northern Ireland Peace Process as the price of Brexit.
Which just goes to show how isolate these numpties are. They do not represent the rest of us down here. Ask Norman Tebbitt if he'd like the Peace Process to be broken.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:04:29 AM
I see New York is celebrating it's first homicide free weekend in 25 years.

Kind of puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:14:23 PM
Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding DISPATCHES: Lawless Britain: Where Are The Police?

Having spoken to the team responsible for Dispatches, they have advised that the intent was indeed to cover all parts of mainland Britain, hence the title. However, unfortunately Police Scotland  were unwilling to provide any figures around the issues featured, we therefore had no alternative but to shift the focus of the film to England and Wales, we did however make this clear within the narrative of the film.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and we hope the above explains the reasoning between the title and the content.

Lets's bung Police Scotland an email and see what they say.  :evil:

-edit- I don't recall them saying anything about Welsh police forces applying the same standards and I might have missed it, but the legal system in Scotland is different, so the application of the Law is different as well, and I'm not sure that was accurately reflected.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:14:20 PM by Wooster »