PC-Forums

Random Obs

Wooster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
on: October 03, 2018, 08:27:06 PM
I see trailers for The Good Doctor on SKY every now and then.
I assume he's meant to be an autistic savant, but he sounds like the Thermian C/O from Galaxy Quest.  :laugh:

"You will be my friend! Glark! Glark! Glark! Glark! [denoting humour]"

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:33:07 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:58:03 AM
I watched the first series. It's quite good. They took the subject seriously within the entertainment remit. Sometimes there is an element of Dougie Howser MD.

Glamdring

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:16:11 PM
Why are Syfy series so cheaply made? Some of their actors are okay but, wow, their CGI, settings and limited numbers of extras spoil what might have been a watchable programme.

Wooster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:15 PM
I've noticed that myself.
Maybe we underestimate the cost of good CGI.  :wink:

Glamdring

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 12:12:39 AM
Vera! I spotted that clue a full hour ago. Sharpen up, woman!

Wooster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:13:05 AM
I used to watch QT but have gradually went off it over the last couple of decades as it sort of became more of the same.
Maybe that's why Dimbleby is retiring, he's sick of it as well.  :wink:

People keep track of these shows though (like political train spotters  :smiley:) and Phil Burton-Carledge is one of them (as an aside to his usual job of lecturer in sociology at Derby Uni), and he's about to publish a paper on the show which included this wee nugget:

Quote;
His [..Phil's] particular bugbear is the “almost total erasure of trade unionists”, while business representation maintains its presence. From 2010 until the end of the 17-18 season, trade unionists have appeared nine times in total; business, in 32 slots; and celebrities (novelists, actors, the arts) have had 55 slots. From 1979 until 1990, it was 51 slots, 65 slots, and 10 slots respectively.

As Phil points out, trade unions are the largest voluntary organisation in civil society, with a membership of six million – “but leading trade unionists combined have been on less than Nigel Farage” in the last decade.

I met David Dimbleby a year or two ago in Glasgow Airport, he's a very small fellow.

Glamdring

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 11:39:13 AM
I gave up on it because of the audience. It's suppose to be balanced but I always found them biased in the extreme. And they normally have on the panel someone you couldn't pay me to listen to, so why suffer? I find something else to do.

Wooster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:50 PM
The audience is cherry picked as well apparently.