PC-Forums

Generalities

Wooster · 154 · 8379

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #125 on: May 04, 2019, 10:56:34 AM
The thing is that the elections were town and county councils only, not the huge usuall Labour-run metropolitan boroughs like Doncaster with a large number of Labour councilors to lose when our elections come round. Mostly the counties and towns are Tory controlled, or independent or Lib-Dem, a few of them.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #126 on: May 05, 2019, 11:32:50 AM
I have to say that SKY were just as bad, so there appears to be a common narrative between these two organisations, ignore the liberal parties, attack the left, and play down the failings of the right (where possible).

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #127 on: May 07, 2019, 05:42:16 PM
Should we take a collective chainsaw to our wind turbines? From Forbes

https://qr.ae/TWIWss

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #128 on: May 07, 2019, 06:49:49 PM
He's pro nuclear.

Biggest problem with renewables is storage but they should get the finger out and start developing Thorium Reactors.
The primary reason for going with Uranium in the 1st place was to to produce weapons grade material (which you don't get with Thorium), so no-one is willing to foot the bill for an untested system (India and China are dipping their toes in the water).

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #129 on: May 07, 2019, 09:37:38 PM
I have no problems with nuclear, and as they improve them, so much the better.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #130 on: May 08, 2019, 06:09:33 PM
In a bold stroke the royal bairn has been called Archibald.  :huh:

That's a blast from the past for me, the old mans side of the family has loads of them and I reckoned it would be a dead name.

Archie is the obvious shortening but Baldy (pronounced Ba'aldy with a flat A) was also common about 50 years ago.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #131 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:14 PM
Archie is the British name, Harrison, the American. Everything equal in that household.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #132 on: May 08, 2019, 07:26:09 PM
It's Harry's Son (Scandinavian/Icelandic)

Archibald Harry's Son.

-edit- I wonder if they'll do the same with a female by going with 'something' Meghansdottir. :azn:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:33:31 PM by Wooster »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #133 on: May 10, 2019, 01:19:33 PM
It's official, Nigel Farage has now appeared on BBC Question Time more times that anyone living or dead, 33 times to be exact.

Referring to Danny Bakers idiocy, someone tweeted: "We have fired this person for doing a racist thing, but don't forget to tune into question time tonight where Nigel Farage will be talking to Nigel Farage about how Nigel Farage is Nigel Farage"

It's no wonder Dimbleby left.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #134 on: May 10, 2019, 07:33:11 PM
I gave up on QT ages ago, more to do with audience bias than any particular panellist, though I agree with you.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #135 on: May 10, 2019, 08:33:00 PM
The demands from the BBC coming through the door these days come in red envelopes, addressed to The Occupier.
(threatening all sorts of things that don't apply here)

In all honesty, the only thing I've watched on BBC this year is Frankie Boyle and a few repeat documentaries (that date from the last time I paid...several years ago).

You can cancel Netfilx or Prime any time you like, but the Beeb is an annual tax (in some places), for what value?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:44:06 PM by Wooster »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #136 on: May 10, 2019, 10:22:10 PM
There's one thing everyone could do

Get out and vote for anyone except the brexit party in the EU elections.

..unless you're into his brand of populist shite, that is. :wink:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #137 on: May 14, 2019, 01:17:06 PM
The fact that Boris is due to appear in court today, in a private prosecution that could have a major impact on what claims politicians can make in future, would be newsworthy you'd think, but apparently not.
Only The Times, The National and Huffington Post have picked it up here.
https://www.thenational.scot/news/17637239.boris-johnson-in-the-dock-can-he-survive/

Specifically he's been taken to court over his claims in the run up to the Brexit vote.

WHY IS THIS NOT NEWS?  :shocked:
It's almost as if most of the media would be happier if it wasn't happening.

richietog

Reply #138 on: May 14, 2019, 01:45:16 PM
A guest on the Jeremy Kyle killed himself. And calls for the show to be cancelled permanently coming from MPs

Should have been cancelled even before it began

And a viewer is claimed to have said onlne “what will I do with all this time?”

Shows you how crass some people are

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #139 on: May 16, 2019, 11:56:01 PM
Talk about Porkies.  :rolleyes:
From Ruth Davidsons Scottish Tories today:
The SNP is about to ban prison sentences of less than a year, which would let almost 10,000 serious criminals back out onto the streets, potentially endangering the public. It's time we stood up against their soft touch approach to justice.

1. Serious criminals don't get sentenced to less than a year.
2. The Tories in England announced the same policy today.
3. There's only 8000 people in jail here.  :cheesy:

Also, in England (under the Tories) the crime rate has gone up by 9% in a year and you have 14% less police officers.
In Scotland we have 6% more police officers and the crime rate is at it's lowest in 41 years, so who's policy's are the more effective?

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #140 on: May 23, 2019, 06:05:36 PM
You get the feeling that there's a spade and a gallon of petrol sitting at the back door of Number 10 Downing Street.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #141 on: May 28, 2019, 07:13:28 PM
Oooh, anti Semitism investigations again for Labour, how convenient.
Yaxely-Lennon stood on an anti Semitic ticket and they barely made a peep about it.
May's policies regarding immigration were anti Semitic, Farage is notoriously anti Semitic...still no big deal apparently.

I don't even like or vote for Labour, but it smells a bit funny that the media keep driving at this for one party while ignoring it in others.

Thinking about it there are eight basic types of anti-Semitism.
Anti Jewish
Anti Muslim
Then the political Right Wing, Left Wing and Moderates for each of the two.

So there's your eight basic stances.
Then you have the religious differences that exist between and within these groups (Jews who detest other Jews, Muslims who detest other Muslims...and so on.).

Many UK politician struggle to understand the differences between the Unionist and Republican positions in Northern Ireland, which is quite basic in comparison to the complexities of the Middle East.

i.e. The Tories made Karen Bradley the Northern Ireland Minister last year and she didn't know why Nationalist (predominantly Catholic) communities didn't vote for Unionist (predominantly Protestant) parties and vice versa.
Honestly WTF?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:46:33 PM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #142 on: May 29, 2019, 11:00:14 AM
Interesting thoughts.
Regarding Yaxley scumbag, nothing he says deserves a millisecond of air time.
If you nip into Sheffield Brightside (little Karachi) and yell 'You're all Semetic' you'll not make it out alive. But... not many Muslims are Semitic. Only those who live and speak the Semitic languages of the Middle East. The fact Islam spread to the Far East doesn't make those people Semitic, only Muslim.  They're Muslim Indians, Muslim Sri Lankans, etc. Not Semitic.

I certainly agree about the idiocy of policicians. It's a sine qua non of the job, no?

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #143 on: May 29, 2019, 05:14:37 PM
I see the judge has decided that Boris has a case to answer.
Excellent.  :cool:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/29/boris-johnson-appear-court-eu-referendum-misconduct-claims

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #144 on: May 30, 2019, 09:51:05 AM
I'm delighted but don't expect much to come of it.

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #145 on: June 03, 2019, 11:05:43 AM
So we've let him in. Only for three days. It's embarrassing having him here.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #146 on: June 03, 2019, 11:02:11 PM
I deliberately avoided the news today.  :grin:

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #147 on: June 04, 2019, 09:33:32 AM

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #148 on: June 04, 2019, 11:21:11 AM
I never know what to make of footage like that. They may be UFOs but they're not alien. Probably an April Fool joke.

-
I think I've changed my mind about Trump's visit, at least so far. I was listening to the BBC's American editor on R4 this morning and it's clear the whole Trump entourage, the US civil servants as well as the Trump cronies, were utterly delighted by the whole pomp and majesty of it, and of actually meeting HM, which seems to be an aching need of most Americans.
And HM told Trump off. She really did. It was a great speech, one of those where you don't know you've been insulted until the next day when you think back. i do admire the Queen. One of the best we've ever had in the thousand year history. She may not have conquered Spain but she's fulfilled her role brilliantly.

Emily Thornbury - Labour's putative Foreign Secretary if they win the next election, came across quite poorly under interview. She had no real answer to the question of why they boycotted the banquet. Other than, well we don't like him. Especially when they'd not boycotted the Chinese Ambassador's banquet, when China is a nasty totalitarian state visiting horrors on its people for no good reason.

richietog

Reply #149 on: July 11, 2019, 04:21:32 PM
Good ole Boris knows what to do best, and stab the ambassador in the back regarding what he said about the Trump administration

Any other countries would have stood up for their ambassadors, but not good ole Blighty. We do stabbing in the back the best. And I thought it was the Italians that were experts in that field