PC-Forums

Brexit 1.02

Wooster · 261 · 10655

[PCF]Falcs

• Administrator
Reply #250 on: September 11, 2019, 11:54:06 AM
They should just do another referendum with only one option remain :)

Sacked Matt

Reply #251 on: September 11, 2019, 03:20:01 PM
The leave result in the original referendum certainly covered a massive range of possible interpretations. In the campaigns. the debates and so on, I don't think I heard anyone really admit that the intention was to crash out and indeed I know that I saw spokespeople on the leave side saying that a vote to leave would merely persuade the EU to amend our membership rules and grant us all the control we were supposedly lacking without actually having to leave at all.

To this day, I still haven't heard any benefit that we are supposed to gain from leaving that stands up to the slightest scrutiny. The only justification offered is that it is what the people wanted. A confirmatory referendum on the actual terms with the specific risks and benefits to that scenario does seem like a sensible idea - indeed if the first referendum had only been launched with an accompanying workable plan, perhaps we could have spared ourselves a lot of hassle. I suppose that is a bit like Labour's ridiculed policy at the moment, but at least it isn't a blank cheque approach.

I also enjoyed Raab's comments last week that another extension will cost us £1bn a month, a figure widely shown to be overcooked. Regardless, that's quite a bit cheaper than £350m a week. When the Tories get their way and pull us out, how long before they're justifying cuts because the cost of leaving was always understood by everyone to be so great?

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #252 on: September 11, 2019, 05:44:26 PM
Ah, but BoJo's thrown his dummy out of the pram and called them biased. Gosh, how intelligent.

richietog

Reply #253 on: September 11, 2019, 07:24:15 PM
Bad news for Hitler Farage, Boris doesn't want to deal with them, so even if they had a hung Parliament at the next election, the Breshit Party, if they manage to muster any seats enough to join them to form a government, wouldn't be able to do so

I can see their point, if they have a disagreement, then we might see them split from the government of the day, and cause another unwanted election.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #254 on: September 12, 2019, 09:43:28 AM
Ope, here we go. The right wing are starting to push the line that the Judiciary are getting too political, no doubt with a view to reigning them in and changing our legal systems.
Jackboots on the streets by teatime Mother?

richietog

Reply #255 on: September 12, 2019, 10:11:08 AM
Ope, here we go. The right wing are starting to push the line that the Judiciary are getting too political, no doubt with a view to reigning them in and changing our legal systems.
Jackboots on the streets by teatime Mother?

Its mainly trolls from the US who have vested interest in a no deal Brexit

Sacked Matt

Reply #256 on: September 12, 2019, 10:35:18 AM
Given that Johnson spent two months telling us that he doesn't want an election, won't prorogue parliament and other lies too numerous to recall, I fully expect a full collaboration with Farage's rabble to be in place.

How any of those Etonian, Oxbridge etc tosspots have the audacity to talk about the establishment suggests that this country's understanding of irony is rapidly heading to that of our friends across the Atlantic.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:56:10 AM by Sacked Matt »

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #257 on: September 12, 2019, 11:14:28 AM

Its mainly trolls from the US who have vested interest in a no deal Brexit

No it's not. The EU Anti-Tax Avoidance laws that are due to come into force are the primary motivation of the likes of Mogg and Farage.

Sacked Matt

Reply #258 on: September 12, 2019, 12:03:28 PM
So taking a quote from BBC News with comments from Johnson:
Asked whether he had lied to the monarch about his reasons for the suspension, he replied: "Absolutely not."

He added: "The High Court in England plainly agrees with us, but the Supreme Court will have to decide."

Firstly, that must be confirmation that he did lie to the monarch. That said, I imagine she was as able to see through the lie as readily as anyone. Saying no wasn't really an option.

Secondly, and this does depend on if his comments were made directly in the order they are portrayed, I thought that the High Court's verdict was that it was not their place to interpret the governments use of its power in this circumstance. He seems to be implying that the previous decision was arrived at because he has acted with truth and integrity in the whole matter. Why the High Court in England's opinion is referred to anyway is extremely questionable too, since that verdict is legally inferior to yesterday's - but he wouldn't want to miss a chance to spread more division.

Finally, the constrant stream of criticisms, implicit or direct, of the judiciary from the government (and in May's one) are so irresponsible. It does feel like the Daily Mail is going to be getting ready to dust off it's old Hurrah for the Blackshirts headline at some point.

Wooster

• Administrator
Reply #259 on: September 13, 2019, 10:13:59 AM
Scottish Judges ruling in brief. (SKY News and BBC News 24 haven't mentioned any of this so far)

Carloway:  “The decision to prorogue in the manner sought was taken against the background of the discussions in which it was being suggested that MPs, and thus Parliament, would be unable to prevent a No-Deal Brexit if time was simply allowed to elapse, without further legislation, until the exit date.

“Put shortly, prorogation was being mooted specifically as a means to stymie any further legislation regulating Brexit.”

Young: “I am of the opinion that the decision to prorogue Parliament for five weeks out of the seven remaining before the United Kingdom is scheduled to leave the European Union leads inevitably to the conclusion that the reason for prorogation was to prevent Parliamentary scrutiny of the government. I find it impossible to see that it could serve any other rational purpose.”

Brodie: “When the manoeuvre is quite so blatantly designed ‘to frustrate Parliament’ at such a critical juncture in the history of the United Kingdom I consider that the court may legitimately find it to be unlawful.”

“What has led me to conclude that the court is entitled to find the making of the Order unlawful is the extreme nature of the case.”
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:18:40 AM by Wooster »

Glamdring

• Administrator
Reply #260 on: September 13, 2019, 05:56:03 PM
Who could fault those decisions?

I find Sky mobile news, the reports and articles, to be much better than anything they broadcast.